I was actually looking forward to this week. Aaron was scheduled to chaperon the annual youth group trip to Goldrush and Jeremiah was scheduled to be at sports camp during the day. That left just me and Nathaniel to hang out. I was planning on lots of meals eaten out (because I don't really enjoy cooking and cleaning up). I was planning on the boys being so tired out from their days of fun that I could easily put them to bed and enjoy quiet evening hours by myself. But on Saturday night Jeremiah got a fever and yesterday it hovered around 102. So this morning he is not going to camp. His fever is down and he seems more himself. Hopefully one more day of rest and he can start tomorrow.
Last night I was starting to get very disappointed, thinking about the possibility of both boys being home all day, all week while Aaron was gone. I was getting ready to pitch an all-out pity party. Obviously I don't want my son to feel bad, but part of my prayer last night for his healing was selfish because my week will be easier if he can go to camp.
Last night in his fevered state Jeremiah was disappointed that he wouldn't be going to camp in the morning but he was resigned. He groaned and said, "I wish this had happened sometime in the future, not today." I sat by his bed putting a cool cloth on his head and rubbing his back. I told him I was proud of him for being so mature. I told him about some of my childhood disappointments. We prayed together asking God to encourage and heal him.
We are going to take one day at a time this week. We will lay low here at home today and if his fever stays down then he can go to camp tomorrow. If not, well, then we make another game plan. And this is where the rubber meets the road in the applying what I believe about God and who He is to the daily work of parenting. I can grump my way through the changed expectations of the week or I can embrace that this right now is what God has ordained and He will give me joy.
We have had a quiet morning. We waved Aaron off a few minutes ago and are about to enjoy lunch and then hopefully some naps. We are going to watch some movies this afternoon. We will probably finish our current read-aloud. With God's help and grace I intend to embrace with joy whatever circumstance unfolds this week.
No comments:
Post a Comment