Thursday, January 24, 2013

a new niece!

I have lived away from my family for more years than I have lived with my family. It is just a fact of my life. Some of the people I love the most are not a daily part of my life. Most of the time I am okay with it. It is not ideal but we were all raised to be independent people and so we pursue our lives and passions without guilt. We have learned how to communicate and maintain relationship over time zones and telephone wires. But last week Saturday when my sister-in-law called to tell me that she was in labor (finally!) I wanted to curse the miles between us. It suddenly wasn't enough to be receiving the updates via text message. I wanted to be there, in the waiting room with the rest of my family, ready to celebrate this new little life. As the pictures come up on Facebook I want to be there, welcoming them home as a new little family, watching them revel in the awe of being new parents, making meals, and of course snuggling the baby. Sometimes, distance just sucks and there is nothing to do about it. Thankfully we all live on the same side of the ocean now so hopefully it won't be too long before we can visit and enjoy all the new baby sweetness but for right now pictures and text messages and Skype and Facebook updates will have to do. 

Welcome to the world little Lieke! We love you and can't wait to meet you!

2 comments:

Bennito said...

So sweet Sis!
We miss you too.
We will see you soon, for sure!!

Ramona said...

Lieke can't wait to meet you!!