Monday, September 15, 2008

Losing a friend

On Saturday morning as I was in the store searching for a birthday gift for Aaron my cell phone rang and I was informed that a dear friend and mentor of mine had died on Friday night. I was in shock. My mind became fuzzy and just finishing the grocery shopping and dealing with Jeremiah (who always acts out for my attention when I am on the phone) became complicated tasks to navigate. My brother who called me a few minutes later probably found me to be a distant and uninvolved conversationalist. Poor Aaron never did get a present.
I continued my day in a state of disbelief, praying for his children and family. I made it through a crazy busy shift at work. Grief came flooding in during worship at church on Sunday morning. I wept as we sang songs about God's comfort and praising Him with saints in Heaven.
Yesterday as we celebrated Aaron and Chad's birthday's with family I kept thinking of the people whom I loved and admired who have died in the past few years. People who loved Jesus and had instrumental parts in teaching me about him; Grandma Rachel, Joe McClure, Rock & Cathy Thomas and their son, Randy Moberly, Mike Summer, and now Rod Jackson.
I still have not processed the loss of Rod, not just to me but to his children, the church, Mercy's Chosen Children, and the community he served. He was larger than life. Always willing to sacrifice and serve. A bear hug from Rod would never fail to encourage. He was someone (like Mike) who you just never imagined not being around. He constantly challenged me to exercise faith that God could do big things. I smile when I think of him in heaven worshiping the big God he loved and served.
So this week we will attend a funeral and again be reminded of the nearness of heaven. I am pretty sure that we will be led by James Ward in his enthusiastic song, "Death is Ended." I will weep with sorrow at the loss of my friend but also with joy at the knowledge that "death is swallowed up in victory!"

1 comment:

jaywalker said...

i LOVE that song! I'm sorry for your loss...