It's a rainy, cool day. Before kids I would have stayed in bed, read a favorite book and taken a nap. But, since I have kids who don't stay in bed longer than 6:45 a.m. those things are no longer an option.
Don't get me wrong, I truly and deeply love my kids. But I must be honest and say that there are some days when I just want to be selfish and do what I want to do. So they watched TV this morning while I got the coffee going and spent an hour poking around the internet.
I am in a funk.
I have been for a few days.
I realized this morning that I usually get into a funk when I let life get too busy and forget to keep the truths of scripture in the front of my mind. I let the messages from the world around me seep in and take over what I know to be true. "You have to look like this to be beautiful." "You come first." "There is no right and wrong." "Your material possessions define you." "You deserve the things you lust after." Today being a prime example. If I was keeping the gospel foremost in my mind then waking up to care for my family should be a joy, not a trial. I would have remembered that "Love suffers long...does not seek it's own...".
I have a box that a college roommate gave me. When I read a verse that really strikes me I write it on a 3x5 card and put it in the box. Then when I have a day like today I just grab the box and read through a handful of the verses that I have put in there. As always with God's Word I always get what I need from the verses I pull out.
Today's verse:
The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul.
The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy, making wise the simple.
The precepts of the Lord are right, giving joy to the heart.
The commands of the Lord are radiant, giving light to the eye.
The fear of the Lord is pure, enduring forever.
The ordinances of the Lord are sure and altogether righteous.
The are more precious than gold, than much pure gold;
they are sweeter than honey, than honey from the comb.
By them is your servant warned; in keeping them there is great reward.
- Psalm 19:7-11
What a perfect reminder for me today!
Don't get me wrong, I truly and deeply love my kids. But I must be honest and say that there are some days when I just want to be selfish and do what I want to do. So they watched TV this morning while I got the coffee going and spent an hour poking around the internet.
I am in a funk.
I have been for a few days.
I realized this morning that I usually get into a funk when I let life get too busy and forget to keep the truths of scripture in the front of my mind. I let the messages from the world around me seep in and take over what I know to be true. "You have to look like this to be beautiful." "You come first." "There is no right and wrong." "Your material possessions define you." "You deserve the things you lust after." Today being a prime example. If I was keeping the gospel foremost in my mind then waking up to care for my family should be a joy, not a trial. I would have remembered that "Love suffers long...does not seek it's own...".
I have a box that a college roommate gave me. When I read a verse that really strikes me I write it on a 3x5 card and put it in the box. Then when I have a day like today I just grab the box and read through a handful of the verses that I have put in there. As always with God's Word I always get what I need from the verses I pull out.
Today's verse:
The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul.
The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy, making wise the simple.
The precepts of the Lord are right, giving joy to the heart.
The commands of the Lord are radiant, giving light to the eye.
The fear of the Lord is pure, enduring forever.
The ordinances of the Lord are sure and altogether righteous.
The are more precious than gold, than much pure gold;
they are sweeter than honey, than honey from the comb.
By them is your servant warned; in keeping them there is great reward.
- Psalm 19:7-11
What a perfect reminder for me today!
1 comment:
hope your soul is revived today!
and i know it's not priority one, but i firmly believe that it's healthy to have at least a little time to yourself. hoping you also have time to curl up with a book for a few minutes!
Post a Comment