Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Book Review: Love & War Devotional for Couples

I have read a few of John Eldredge's books and have found them to be inspirational and helpful. This book Love & War Devotional for Couples was encouraging to me. John & Stasi Eldredge created this 8 week devotional to encourage couples to find joy and beauty in marriage through transformation of the heart in every day moments.

Practically laid out in 8 weeks, consisting of 5 days each, the brief individual devotionals begin with a Bible verse, have a short application, and end with a prayer and a more in-depth Bible verse. Each week ends with an exercise intended to help the couple dig deeper and apply what they have been learning during the week in real ways.

What I liked about this book was that it was easy to pick up and include in what I was already reading for my daily devotion times. While I didn't find any of the information to be new or earth-shattering it was encouraging to be reminded of Biblical truths about marriage. For me, most importantly the reminder that Satan wants to wage a war on my marriage and make me and my husband into enemies in order to tear us apart. I also found the exercises at the end of the week to be a good tool for learning how to relate more practically with my husband.

The idea behind this book is that it is possible (through the Spirit and God's grace) to have not just a good marriage, but a marriage that is rich and satisfying and full of joy.

I would recommend this book to a couple who desires to be reminded of Biblical truths for marriage, and who wants to put those truths into action. I would recommend this book for couples who have lost some joy and intimacy in their relationship. I would not recommend this book to couples who are struggling with deep and serious issues that need professional help.

Disclaimer: I received this book for free in order to review from the Blogging for Books program of WaterBrook Multnomah publishing company.

No comments: