Friday, October 28, 2011

1/3 school year complete!

Every Friday while Jeremiah is doing his spelling test for the week (which he actually says is his favorite part of school) I start to plan for the next week. Today I took off the front page of our Math schedule because we have completed 12 weeks of school! We are 1/3 of the way through our total school year!

I feel like we are really in a good groove now. We have a rhythm to our school time that works really well for us. Jeremiah completes his Math and Language Arts first thing. Those are the most focused and writing intensive so he sets up on the left side of the dining room table while I sit at the head of the table and work with Nathaniel on basic letter and number recognition on the my right side. After this we take our books for History/Geography/Core and sit in the sunroom. Jeremiah works in his handwriting workbook on his own during nap time. Reading happens all day long.

I realized this week that we can add more Science now that we have established this basic routine. These basic subjects take less than 2 hours each morning. So next week I am going to add Science two times a week. The weekly science lessons are divided between Activity Sheets that guide Jeremiah through his animal books and then one practical experiment (right now focusing on magnets). So I figure we can do one day of Animal Activity sheets and one day of experiment.

People keep asking me how it is going. And I am surprised to find myself answering that it is going well and we are all actually enjoying it. I enjoy this Sonlight curriculum which in turn helps the boys to enjoy it too. My job is made much easier by the fact that Jeremiah is a motivated, self-directed learner who grasps new concepts very quickly. I asked Jeremiah this week what his favorite parts of school were and he answered; spelling, maps and reading. I asked him what his least favorite parts of school were; he thought for a minute then replied, "Nothing really. I like it all."

No comments: