Friday, October 07, 2011

5 Minute Friday - Ordinary

Linking up with The Gypsy Mama for 5 Minute Friday. Taking 5 minutes on a Friday to just write.
This weeks prompt: Ordinary

GO

Not too long ago we watched a movie called "One Week." It was a good, thoughtful, clean movie with the basic premise: what would you do if you knew you only had one week left to live? The main character of the movie took off on a journey of self-discovery on a motorcycle across Canada. Realizing along the way that he wanted to quit teaching to write a book, and that he wasn't really in love with the woman he was engaged to. After the movie was over Aaron asked me, "What would you do if you only had one week to live?" 
I sat. And thought. And nothing spectacular came to mind. I did not think of draining my savings to take a trip around the world. I did not think of some awesome event that I have always wanted to participate in. I did not think of some lost love that was a real love (aren't you glad for that Aaron?). I did not think of some place I wanted to see. 

I realized that I would spend my last week reveling in ordinary things. I would revel in the hugs and kisses and games of my boys. I would laugh more. I would stay up late talking to Aaron. I would hug and kiss him more. I would take walks and tell jokes and gather those I love around me and just BE. 

At first I was bothered by that. How could it be that all I would desire during my imaginary last week of life was ordinary, boring even? Then I realized the obvious and the cliche, that the ordinary of my life is truly extra-ordinary.

STOP 

6 comments:

Traci Michele said...

I love the way you write. It made me teary-eyed.

Love,
Traci @ Ordinary Inspirations
http://ordinaryinspirations.blogspot.com/2011/10/choosing-to-see-ordinary.html

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. I couldn't agree more - it is the ordinary things that make our lives extraordinary!

Anonymous said...

i never heard of that movie.
I wonder if it's ondemand yet.
I will check it out
thanks,
T

Eva Trillian said...

Wonderful post!

Lindsey V said...

Oh. my. word.

I am challenged and teary-eyed!

What a challenge...to live my life with that intention that if each day were my last...I lived/gave the ordinary with EXTRA-ordinary attention.

Love your heart!

Lindsey V said...

P.S. I am an MK too...where did you grow up?