Monday, April 30, 2012

Nathaniel Reads!

Sometimes I need something official to come along and push me to do something that I have been considering for a while. This week is Screen Free Week sponsored by Campaign For A Commercial Free Childhood. I have decided to use it as my excuse to unplug for a week. I have been considering unplugging for a while, but kept finding myself drawn back to the flickering screen of my computer. This week we are going cold turkey. No screens. At all. Not because I think it will make us better people, or because I think that we get some kind of points in the game of comparison parenting, but because we need as a family to reconnect. So we are going to try it. Note: I will be checking my email once a day. 

Now, on to more exciting things.

Last week Nathaniel started to read!  We have been sporadically doing lessons from the book Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons and he was really eager to start reading on his own. I was kind of half-heartedly working with him and thinking in my head that we would really buckle down and make learning to read the focus of next year. Last week I unearthed some old Bob Books that someone had given me. Nathaniel found them and was really interested. So I gave him the first one and asked him if he wanted to try and read it. It had the sounds that we had already worked on in our lessons. And he did it!

There are no words to describe that feeling of watching your child grasp something new and accomplish something they have been working really hard on. He was so excited!

Below is the video of his 2nd attempt at the book. Enjoy!

1 comment:

roadrunner201 said...

I still teach kids to use their finger to track with my 6th graders who struggle. Great reading strategy! (Especially for kinesthetic learners who need a lot of movement!)

Great job Nathaniel!