Friday, November 02, 2012
When school unfolds differently than planned
This was technically week 10 of our Sonlight curriculum. Let me be honest with you here, I still don't feel like we have hit our groove with school this year. We have had a string of super busy weeks and I am just fitting our school work in as we can. At the beginning of this week I was feeling discouraged. I was pretty sure I was not doing this whole thing "right." I wasn't sure if my hands-off approach to school lately has been wise (philosophy of unschooling!) or a result of laziness.
Today is the first day in longer than I can remember that we don't have something to do and somewhere to be. I had planned for us to buckle down and catch up on some school work. But we all slept in. I woke at 8:30 to the sound of the boys playing Lego's in their room. When I jokingly declared that I was too tired to make breakfast Jeremiah said, "Don't worry mama. I know how to make eggs. Let me make breakfast!" He seemed so enthused and excited that I let him. Would you believe it, 20 minutes and a messy kitchen later breakfast of scrambled eggs and toast was on the table! We tried to sit down and do some math but I got frustrated with the attempt of trying to keep the boys focused. So instead of yelling at them I sent them outside to play. When I got out of the shower I ventured in to the back yard to see what was going on. They had constructed "speeder bikes" out of various things and were having races.
So no, our school year is not unfolding how I had planned. But we are reading - a lot. And we do math worksheets almost every day. Jeremiah is loving his science class. Nathaniel is starting to scribble out little notes on various pieces of paper all over the house. Somehow to my surprise Jeremiah can name the basic parts of a sentence. They are being creative. They are learning to be real brothers and friends. So I guess, even though I am not checking off our lesson plans as I would like, we are still doing okay.
Labels:
(home)schooling
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment