One of the days we were in Philadelphia we went downtown and viewed some of the historic sites. Some of the sites were closed due to the government shut down (Independence Hall, Liberty Bell) but we were still able to see some other things. It was a gorgeous fall day in the city and just walking around the old streets gave us the ability to picture some of the things we have been reading about in our books. Of course, no trip to downtown Philly would be complete without a terrific cheese steak sandwich!
Independence Hall
(Viewed from across the street. Due to the government shut down the whole block the building was on was barricaded off. I must admit I was very disappointed about this because we are going to be reading a lot about this building...Oh well...)
Liberty Bell
We visited the
Constitution Center. It was a great museum. Very interactive and full of detail.
I really learned a lot here. My background is
such that I don't particularly identify with, or feel patriotic to any
one particular country, but it was fascinating to learn about the Constitution. And I can say that I gained a new appreciation for this
country of my birth. Here are the boys, more American than I will ever
be, with the preamble of the Constitution in the background.
The boys met Betsy Ross!
Did you know that George Washington originally requested 6-point stars on the flag because that was the common way to make a star back then. But Betsy Ross suggested a 5-point star because they can be made with just 1 cut and therefore could be made more easily and quickly. Smart lady!
Cooking colonial style
The
Betsy Ross House was open and a good place to visit. (Thanks dad for making us go in even though I was tired and ready to go home!) So many interesting things to learn and great details to see. Again, just being able to walk around the house really helped us visualize things from the books we are reading about the colonial period of American history. And really, how cool is it that George Washington himself walked through that very front door and had to duck because he was so tall?
No comments:
Post a Comment