Today's voting experience was a little surreal. First because I had to drag myself out of the house. I have a horrible cold that has me congested and exhausted. Second because while I knew who I was voting for I was basically voting on one issue alone and really felt torn, even to the second that I turned in my final ballot. Third because I felt proud that no matter what the outcome of the election, history will be made today.
There were no long lines at my polling station, a positive to living in a small town. I had both of the boys with me and the poll workers, mostly senior citizens, were so thrilled to see them learning to do their civic duty at such a young age. But I witnessed something quite moving while I was there. At least 3 men admitted when they got their sticker that this was their first time voting. I would say they were middle aged, obviously blue collar workers in their camo baseball hats and Carhartt coveralls. When one man told the poll worker that he was a first time voter she jumped up and gave him a big hug. It was a beautiful sight. A visual reminder that politics does not have to be divisive and that our individual vote is important.
Once we had gotten our stickers and were headed out the door Jeremiah exclaimed, "But I thought we were going to vote on a BOAT!" Hee hee. I can never stay to serious or contemplative when this one is around.
There were no long lines at my polling station, a positive to living in a small town. I had both of the boys with me and the poll workers, mostly senior citizens, were so thrilled to see them learning to do their civic duty at such a young age. But I witnessed something quite moving while I was there. At least 3 men admitted when they got their sticker that this was their first time voting. I would say they were middle aged, obviously blue collar workers in their camo baseball hats and Carhartt coveralls. When one man told the poll worker that he was a first time voter she jumped up and gave him a big hug. It was a beautiful sight. A visual reminder that politics does not have to be divisive and that our individual vote is important.
Once we had gotten our stickers and were headed out the door Jeremiah exclaimed, "But I thought we were going to vote on a BOAT!" Hee hee. I can never stay to serious or contemplative when this one is around.
No comments:
Post a Comment