Thursday, July 02, 2009

Summer Thoughts

Some of my random thoughts recently:
* We are so blessed to have this summer completely free with Aaron home! We are enjoying every moment and taking full advantage of the long summer days. We are doing projects around the house, resting, and having lots of people over for meals and fun.
* I am not missing our TV at all!
* Somewhere in our garden beds lurks poison ivy that I have not yet identified but that has left me looking like a strange monster from a B-rated horror flick. I have a nasty rash on my face, arms and fingers. Not fun.
* I have been spending less time on-line and, like the lack of TV, am finding this better for my over-all well being. (I will probably blog more on this at a later date.)
* I am reading Hot, Flat, and Crowded by Thomas Friedman and finding it very interesting.
* If you haven't read anything by Barbara Kingsolver you should!
* My husband is an amazing, incredible, patient man who deserves more love, time, and attention than I give him.
* I would happily be a vegetarian during the summer months with all the lovely fresh produce that is available. Our Monday evening visits to the farmers market is always anticipated. The vendors like to see the boys coming and last week Jeremiah and Nathaniel scored free Yoo-Hoo. I think Jeremiah thought it was the nectar of the Gods.
* Craigslist rocks! I will never again pay retail for appliances. We picked up an almost brand new portable dishwasher the other day for $100! (retails for over $600!). We are now on the hunt for an extra freezer.
* Icecream eaten out of a cone does have a special taste that smacks of childhood and summer.
* My baby is about to turn 2 and I am envisioning this home with a few more little people in it. My thoughts are turning to fostering and adopting and I am in great prayer and anticipation for what God may have in store.
* I forgot about the tender feelings of 4 year olds in the process of giving away the fish in the pond. My mother's heart cracked a bit when Jeremiah cried heart wrenching sobs and accused us of hurting his feelings when the fish went to their new home. We are in the process of seeing if a turtle or fish aquarium will make a good addition to our home and fulfill Jeremiah's desire for a pet of his own.

3 comments:

jaywalker said...

i'm starting a book club with some of the other e.r. docs wives and our first book was my choice: prodigal summer by barbara kingsolver. it's not one i would recommend to my mother, but i like it! :)

roadrunner201 said...

Oh, sad about the fish! I never would have even thought about that either. Guess we better knock these goldfish off before Jude's old enough to know the difference. Thanks for letting me learn through your experience;-)

You decided to get rid of your t.v. or it broke? Jeff and I have been going round and round about this over the past few months. We keep wavering back and forth. I like PBS and The Biggest Loser, and he likes all that crazy Discovery Channel stuff, but other than that, we don't watch it much and the commercials that they play during hours when children are awake really tick me off.

Sarah R. said...

jaywalker - yeah, that one is probably the most "racy" of her books. my first and favorite read of hers was "The Poisonwood Bible". her others are also very interesting - about adoption and family. you would like them.