

My younger self would have never in a million years imagined that I would actually make my own diaper rash cream.
But I did.
And it is awesome!
"Why did you do this?" You ask...
Because we use cloth diapers now and you can't use all the traditional diaper rash creams that you get at baby showers because the ingredients (which are impossible to pronounce, and do you really want them on your baby's little bottom?) make the diapers less absorbent. And you need a diaper to actually absorb.
Because even though Nathaniel gets fewer diaper rashes than he did with disposables, he still does get them and I don't like switching back to disposables just so that I can use diaper rash cream. That kind of defeats the purpose of switching to cloth diapers in the first place.
But even if I didn't use cloth diapers I would still make this stuff! (And I probably will make this stuff and package it nicely for my friends having babies.)
"Why?" You ask again...
Because the ingredients are all natural. The ingredients are soft on baby's skin and actually good and nourishing for it.
It smells naturally good as opposed to processed, scented, fake good. There is a huge difference.
And I have never seen a kid actually ask me to put diaper cream on his bottom. Really. It is kind of freaky. I intended to just use this stuff when a diaper rash appeared, but Nathaniel asks me to put it on every time I change his diaper. He is also very possessive, "Mine dipe cw-eem!" he exclaims clutching the jar.
I got the recipe from this site (a great site for all kinds of natural tips, tricks and recipe's).
Homemade Natural Diaper Cream
1/8 cup coconut oil (extra virgin is preferred)
1/4 cup raw shea butter
3-4 tablespoons talc-free cornstarch or arrowroot powder
Combine coconut oil and shea butter in small bowl with a hand mixer.
Add cornstarch or arrowroot powder one tablespoon at a time until it reaches desired thickness (should look and feel similar to whipped icing).
Transfer to container of your choice.
Makes about 1 cup.
But I did.
And it is awesome!
"Why did you do this?" You ask...
Because we use cloth diapers now and you can't use all the traditional diaper rash creams that you get at baby showers because the ingredients (which are impossible to pronounce, and do you really want them on your baby's little bottom?) make the diapers less absorbent. And you need a diaper to actually absorb.
Because even though Nathaniel gets fewer diaper rashes than he did with disposables, he still does get them and I don't like switching back to disposables just so that I can use diaper rash cream. That kind of defeats the purpose of switching to cloth diapers in the first place.
But even if I didn't use cloth diapers I would still make this stuff! (And I probably will make this stuff and package it nicely for my friends having babies.)
"Why?" You ask again...
Because the ingredients are all natural. The ingredients are soft on baby's skin and actually good and nourishing for it.
It smells naturally good as opposed to processed, scented, fake good. There is a huge difference.
And I have never seen a kid actually ask me to put diaper cream on his bottom. Really. It is kind of freaky. I intended to just use this stuff when a diaper rash appeared, but Nathaniel asks me to put it on every time I change his diaper. He is also very possessive, "Mine dipe cw-eem!" he exclaims clutching the jar.
I got the recipe from this site (a great site for all kinds of natural tips, tricks and recipe's).
Homemade Natural Diaper Cream
1/8 cup coconut oil (extra virgin is preferred)
1/4 cup raw shea butter
3-4 tablespoons talc-free cornstarch or arrowroot powder
Combine coconut oil and shea butter in small bowl with a hand mixer.
Add cornstarch or arrowroot powder one tablespoon at a time until it reaches desired thickness (should look and feel similar to whipped icing).
Transfer to container of your choice.
Makes about 1 cup.
1 comment:
I love it! I was thinking about doing this. Just haven't found the time yet.
Post a Comment