Friday, April 23, 2010

Feeling truth




It has been a rough week for me. One thing after another seems to be piling up on me. I am thankful that I have largely responded to various people and situations with grace but I have felt and underlying current of anxiety. Yesterday I was snappy and short tempered. I just wanted to be left alone. I had to ask Jeremiah's forgiveness numerous times for losing my temper with him.

I have been remembering discussions we have been having in Sunday school as we discuss the book Waking the Dead by John Eldridge. This world is not as it seems. There is a spiritual battle waging around us. We are an important part of that battle. When we are following God from our heart and seeking to bring the Kingdom the enemy will attack us. I have felt the stings of the enemy's arrows this week as he seeks to steal, kill and destroy.

This morning all I really wanted to do was stay in bed. As the sun rose and the responsibilities of the day loomed ahead I asked God to encourage me. I asked for grace and strength. I pleaded for a filling of the Spirit that I could physically feel and know. The Bible promises that we will be strengthened when we are weak and filled when we are empty. I needed those promises to be really true, not just theoretically true.

As I was making breakfast the song Days of Elijah came on the radio. Jeremiah came running into the kitchen saying, "Turn it up mama! I love this song!" Nathaniel immediately asked to be picked up so we could dance. So there we were, dancing around the kitchen and singing at the top of our lungs. Then, as we repeated, "There is no God like Jehovah!" getting louder and louder with each repetition Nathaniel looked straight at me and said, "MAMA! ALEXANDER IS OUT OF PRISON!"

(Note: Alexander is the director of the puppet ministry in India that our dear friend Ms. Linda planted this year. He was beaten and imprisoned for doing puppet shows and sharing the gospel with children. He has a wife and 3 year old daughter. We have been praying daily for him and found out yesterday that he was released on bail.)

It was in that moment that I felt grace, peace, and strength literally flood my heart. Really. In a way that I cannot explain and that would make non-believers scoff. I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt, as I stood in my kitchen worshiping and witnessing the faith and joy of my children, that God is real and His promises are true. His kingdom is advancing and He will return on the clouds to make everything new. Hallelujah!

There is no God like Jehovah!

2 comments:

Michael said...

under your inspiration, i looked through the iTunes library on my broken iMac that we are using for movie watching and found our favorite version of that song, the beth moore presents version, and then we danced around the house singing as well. Behold, he COMES!
-jess

shanna said...

I am so glad you shared this! What an encouragement (that I really needed)