Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Back in the USA

We arrived home at 1:30 a.m. on Monday July 5th after a 25 hour day of traveling. My kids surprised me again by traveling like champs. I thought for the most part I was pretty patient, until Jeremiah asked me to please stop talking in my "mean voice." Ah, the truth of a child. We have all slept well our first 2 nights back and I am cautiously optimistic that our bodies may adjust to the time change a bit easier than I had anticipated.

The boys seem happy to be home. Before we left Holland Nathaniel asked me, "Does our house have stairs?" Last night when I asked the boys to take off their clothes and go to the bathtub Nathaniel looked at me and said, "Do we have a bathtub?"

This was the first time in a long time that I was not ready for our vacation to end and to get home. I am not sure why that was. But I really and truly had no desire to get home. I had prayed that I would be able to enjoy each moment of our vacation and so I guess that prayer was answered.

I feel strange being back. Our house feels like home and we are happy to be here, but I still feel a sort of disquiet. Not sure where that is coming from. I am eager to get back to church and see our friends and get back into the swing of things, but at the same time I felt so comfortable in Holland. I miss riding bikes to get around. I miss the weekly market.

I am sure that some of the disquiet comes from being back here in our "real world" and still not having any positive leads at all on Aaron's job search. We don't feel panic yet, but I have a hard time really enjoying our summer when the job situation is still so uncertain.

I have 365 unread items in my blog feed reader. I am pretty sure that I will not have the time to catch up on all of that. Maybe this is my cue to cut down on the blogs I follow since I managed to survive without them for almost a whole month.

I had intended for this post to tell about what a great vacation we had and it ended up being completely random. But we did have a great vacation. We are thankful that we got to go and spend so much time in Holland. We are thankful for my parents who so generously shared their home, time, and food with us. It was obvious that we needed time away to really disconnect and relax. There are more pictures to share but those will have to wait. I am tired and headed to bed.

No comments: