
We finally said good-bye to our 12 year old (at least), garage sale purchased couch! It will seem strange to say that this was a long, spiritual process for me but it was. I finally let go of the guilt I was feeling for using so much money for what seemed such an indulgent, unnecessary purchase.
Most couples will spend their 10th anniversary celebration weekend on some kind of romantic get away. We spent part of our weekend at IKEA. Happily meandering through the displays, sitting on couches, imagining our home and how we want it to be a welcoming, comfortable, inspiring, healing place. We made our decision, made the final purchase (while I tried not to hyperventilate), and strategically packed the large boxes into the van. We drove home drinking Dr. Pepper and eating junk food, listening to college football on the radio and talking about all kinds of things. We worked most of the evening assembling the couch and re-arranging the living room. Finally, we snuggled on our new couch and watched a movie.
I struggled long and hard over spending money on a new couch. But now that it is here and we are enjoying it I am so thankful! It is comfortable, has more seating room, and hopefully makes our living room inviting to other people. We truly want our home to be a place where people feel welcome and comfortable. Is it sacrilegious to hope that our purchase and use of a couch will honor and glorify God?
Now I really have no excuses for putting off picking out a paint color and finally painting......
(Note for those interested in these kinds of details: We originally wanted this couch with a sleek, bluish-grey cover but it was out of stock. So we went with white. But, it is a machine washable slip-cover and I have been reading in decorating magazines that white, washable slip covers are actually great if you have kids because you can easily wash them and keep them clean. We shall see. Worst case scenario is that we have to buy a new slip-cover from IKEA every few years. Anyway, I actually like the white. I think it balances out the darkness of the rug and keeps the room fresh and modern.)
Most couples will spend their 10th anniversary celebration weekend on some kind of romantic get away. We spent part of our weekend at IKEA. Happily meandering through the displays, sitting on couches, imagining our home and how we want it to be a welcoming, comfortable, inspiring, healing place. We made our decision, made the final purchase (while I tried not to hyperventilate), and strategically packed the large boxes into the van. We drove home drinking Dr. Pepper and eating junk food, listening to college football on the radio and talking about all kinds of things. We worked most of the evening assembling the couch and re-arranging the living room. Finally, we snuggled on our new couch and watched a movie.
I struggled long and hard over spending money on a new couch. But now that it is here and we are enjoying it I am so thankful! It is comfortable, has more seating room, and hopefully makes our living room inviting to other people. We truly want our home to be a place where people feel welcome and comfortable. Is it sacrilegious to hope that our purchase and use of a couch will honor and glorify God?
Now I really have no excuses for putting off picking out a paint color and finally painting......
(Note for those interested in these kinds of details: We originally wanted this couch with a sleek, bluish-grey cover but it was out of stock. So we went with white. But, it is a machine washable slip-cover and I have been reading in decorating magazines that white, washable slip covers are actually great if you have kids because you can easily wash them and keep them clean. We shall see. Worst case scenario is that we have to buy a new slip-cover from IKEA every few years. Anyway, I actually like the white. I think it balances out the darkness of the rug and keeps the room fresh and modern.)
2 comments:
I love it! Great choice. I think it looks beautiful!
Wow, that is a statement. I guess you are not going to worry about children writing with marker on it. Is it some kind of leather? I can't wait to come and sit on it with alll of you.
Post a Comment