Tuesday, March 15, 2011

An encouraging day

It is a rainy, cool day. I wake before the boys and armed with my coffee, Bible and journal I settle in my comfy spot in the sun room. As I read and pray and write the boys slowly wake and join me. Nathaniel is typically the early riser and will snuggle with me while I finish my reading. Jeremiah will join us later full of enthusiasm and ready to start the day.

We breakfast slowly. There is no need to rush. We read a Psalm and discuss the plan for the day. Mostly schoolwork since we have been pretty busy the past 2 days with other activities and we need to catch up. The sky outside the window is pearly gray, the rain is drifting down like fog, and I am thankful that we don't have to leave the house.

The boys play together while I clean up and prepare for school. I hear their laughter from their room. They are planning a Star Wars battle. Occasionally Jeremiah's voice will raise bossy and loud. Nathaniel talks back softly but firm. He is beyond the age to be pushed around. I hear them compromise and peace is restored.

Jeremiah completes his math lesson mostly on his own while I snuggle on the couch and read to Nathaniel. Then we spend time together learning about the shapes of land on the Earth's surface (Science) and slaves following "the drinking gourd" to freedom on the Underground Railroad (History). Jeremiah again works on his own, practicing his handwriting while Nathaniel amuses himself with some toys.

It's time for a break and a snack and since playing outside is not an option they talk together and come to an agreement on a movie to watch.

Lunch is simple but filling. Homemade bread, peanut butter & jelly, some fruit, a full glass of raw milk that came straight out of a cow on Saturday morning. We chat. The boys make silly talk.

My plan was to immediately do reading and naps after lunch. But as I finish cleaning up the kitchen I again hear the sounds of fun and contented play coming from the boys room. They are making plans together. Laughing. Sharing toys. Talking. They are building some kind of trap to let down from the middle bunk bed. I let them play. And I realize that this is a great gift of schooling at home. That these boys are learning to be friends. Instead of being away from us for 7 hours a day, Jeremiah is here, building relationships with us. He is learning to listen to his 3 year old brother instead of just boss him around. He is learning to compromise and work as a team and encourage and be a good example.

Not every day of schooling at home is a peaceful and picturesque as this one. But days like these, where we learn and play and grow and I witness friendship forming, encourage me to continue.

No comments: