Distance has always been a constant factor in my life. From the time I was 9 months old and flew to West Africa with my parents the constant, nagging ache of distance has been part of who I am. There is always someone to miss. Always something to miss. Always the vague sense that I don't exactly fit right where I am.
Now I am grown. Wife. Mother. Attempting to put down roots in this small southern town. And sometimes the distance is not physical but emotional, and spiritual. My sons finger pictures of me playing on dusty African soil, pictures of me next to ancient leaning Dutch buildings and I know that there is no way for me to truly communicate to them what this part of me is. They are so American. Speaking the language of convenience and fast-food and abundance.
So, I try to bridge the distance. I tell stories about a little girl and her monkey. I paint word pictures of thunderstorms crackling across the African plain. I explain why wasted running water and lights left on bug me so. I stock their room with books of children from all parts of the world. I curl up and read them "De koe die in het water viel" in Dutch, even though I know they can't understand the words because I hope they can understand my heart.
Playing along with The Gypsy Mama. Only 5 minutes to write, no editing. For some reason I can't get the button to work so click here, to link back.
5 comments:
What a gift to give your children- exposure to other cultures, lives! Trust me, they are learning even when you think they aren't....
Such a great post!! Distance is more emotional and spiritual for me as you mention. Funny how one word can bring so many different meanings to different people. I enjoyed reading here today!
this is a really great post. Being one who has always lived here, i try hard to fathom the completely different worlds out there. i can see how trying to communicate that would be near impossible.
I love this - I've been feeling this distance myself a lot lately. Exposing them young and then popping them on a plane and teaching them - their hearts will soon understand the same yearning yours does....and there is everything right with that! :)
Beautiful post.
I love the way you're preparing your children to bridge gaps and be good stewards of their world as only a global nomad can do. Brava!
Post a Comment