Friday, July 22, 2011

5 Minute Friday - Full

Joining The Gypsy Mama for 5 Minute Friday - five minutes to write, no editing, no worrying about perfection.

Today's prompt: Full

GO

I know that I am supposed to feel full. But I feel empty.

This morning the first thing I saw on my computer, after a nourishing breakfast, were pictures of people starving in Somalia. Another famine.

I look around my home and know that I should feel full. But how am I supposed to feel full when others are empty?

How is it that all the good things I have today only serve as a reminder of what others don't have? How can I feel full when there are mothers today in Somalia who are watching their children waste away?

Yesterday I read a blog with a picture of a girl, 5 years old, who after just a few weeks of being transferred from an orphanage to a institution in an Eastern European country looks shorn and abused. Her eyes in the "before" picture bright and full of life. In the "after" picture her eyes gaze listlessly from my computer screen. How can I feel full when I think of all the children who will do not have families?

I don't know.

These are not the questions that have trite, quick answers. I wrestle and pray and forget and get reminded and try to seek God's will out of love not out of guilt.

Fill me God. My lasting fullness can only come from you.

STOP

2 comments:

Stacie said...

You have a beautiful compassion, a gift from and to God. May you be both used and filled by God in this regard. Blessings!

Cara Sexton said...

It is a hard gift, but a gift nonetheless to feel the hurts of the hurting, to empty to them. Better still than being unaware, unaffected, I think.

Thanks for sharing your beautiful and honest words. Came by way of Gypsy Mama.