Tuesday, September 06, 2011

rainy, restful days

The rain has been falling steadily since Sunday night. It's like God knew we needed some rest and sent the rain to force it on us. We have been cozy and restful here in our house. Aaron home yesterday so we made a big breakfast of biscuits (that I still can't get to rise quite right) and eggs and sausage bought from the farmer who also supplies our milk. The windows are open wide and we listen to the peaceful sound of water falling. It is cool enough for me to wear my sweatpants and favorite hoodie. A cup of tea in the afternoon is welcome hot. Soccer practice is canceled for the rest of the week as the fields are soggy.

School work was skipped yesterday. So this morning we plugged in the twinkle lights in the sunroom and curled up on the couch with our books. The rain still falling, the day still gray, and we all cozy while we learned. The antics of Mr. Popper's Penguins brings much laughter. The bravery and faith of David Livingston has the boys complete attention.

I putter around doing housework to the music of boys playing Lego's. I hear of make-believe worlds that involve Robin Hood and Ninja's and a few Star Wars characters thrown in for good measure. Voices raise in disagreement then calm as they put into practice what we have been learning about communication to solve problems. I smile proud. Thankful for progress in an area I have bathed in prayer the past few weeks.

The rest of the week is full of activities and responsibilities, but for today we rest here cozy in our own little nest.

No comments: