Friday, December 30, 2011

5 Minute Friday - Open

So many thoughts and emotions have been swirling around in my head. So much so that I can't write. So the blog was quiet over Christmas even though my thoughts were not always as quiet. Five Minute Friday at The Gypsy Mama provides the perfect opportunity to just get something out without worrying about perfection (or even sense?).

Today's Prompt: Open

GO

I have struggled to be open. It does not come easy for me to open my heart, open my emotions, open my fingers that are clenched tight around the illusion of control.

But as I think on this year past I realize that I am slowly being cracked open. Lovingly and gently in some ways. Quickly and painfully in others. I think of friendships that are deep and nourished with the food of real struggles and real prayers in the midst of the real messy and glory of life. I think of ways I have opened my heart to redemption and healing. I think of ways that God has quietly opened my heart to His Spirit. And I see ever so slowly my fingers loosening their grip and my hands slowly opening to what is and what will be.

STOP

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a quote for you. This jumped into my life this week and I love it!
"Keep a clear eye toward life's end. Do not forget your purpose and destiny as God's creature. What you are in His sight is what you are and nothing more. Remember that when you leave this earth, you can take with you nothing that you have received--fading symbols of honor, trappings of power--but only what you have given: a full heart enriched by honest service, love, sacrifice, and courage." Francis of Assisi

Jenn said...

Thank you for being so open with us! I have shared in that struggle you call your own... being open. May He continue to work on you (and me) in this New Year. Blessings!

Amy Sullivan said...

Being open is not something that comes easily for me. In fact, it still makes me cringe a bit to know my words are floating out there for anyone to read on a blog...yikes!

But I'm learning, slowly, slowly that open isn't a bad thing.

Val said...

I love how gentle God is... We're so afraid of being vulnerable and the process of being open in general, but when God is at the help, He's just so gentle. So glad that you are at a spot of being able to look back and see how He is at work in your life.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah - I could feel your anxiety at the process of opening up. I've been dealing with that this last year too but from a different perspective, and I have found when I take the step of faith to crack open a little, God comes through and makes the way easy even though I assumed it'd be painful and difficult. I pray for you that 2012 is a year of opening like a beautiful flower, that as it opens reflects God's beauty within. God bless, glad I found you over at Lisa-Jo's
Tracy