I am realizing that it is time to put some margin in our lives again. We are struggling to get back into a routine after the lack of routine that is summer. For a few weeks now we have all been struggling with impatience and short tempers. We all seem on edge. We all opt for the easy-out of mindless entertainment behind a screen. I say "we all" because at first I thought it was just the kids, but today it hit me that it was all of us.
Today, I read this post by Ann Voskamp titled "How to Cultivate the Habit of Focus...in an Age of Distraction" and it convicted me again of the need for routine. Not just to be able to accomplish stuff, but in order to celebrate the joy of daily life. My home is not going to just magically become a place of grace and calm. It takes intentionality on my part as well as discipline. My kids are not going to just magically develop good manners, kindness, imagination, creativity or a love of learning. It will take intentionality on my part as well as discipline.
So, it is time again to protect our daily routine. I need to get back into rising before the boys and preparing myself for the day. I need to limit screen time for all of us. I need to re-evaluate my priorities and then spend my time in a way that reflects those priorities. We need to be diligent with our cash envelope budget system again.
Most of all, we need time to be still. We need to turn off our screens and our distractions and focus on God and on each other. We need time and stillness to say our morning and evening prayers.We need time to listen to God and to each other.
(The necklace pictured above is my early birthday gift to myself from The Adopt Shoppe on Etsy. It's my daily reminder of lessons I am learning and I love it!)
So, it is time again to protect our daily routine. I need to get back into rising before the boys and preparing myself for the day. I need to limit screen time for all of us. I need to re-evaluate my priorities and then spend my time in a way that reflects those priorities. We need to be diligent with our cash envelope budget system again.
Most of all, we need time to be still. We need to turn off our screens and our distractions and focus on God and on each other. We need time and stillness to say our morning and evening prayers.We need time to listen to God and to each other.
(The necklace pictured above is my early birthday gift to myself from The Adopt Shoppe on Etsy. It's my daily reminder of lessons I am learning and I love it!)

1 comment:
Limit screen-time is always a struggle in our household. Especially Harold seems to be glued to the screen at times. I hope we can manage that before Fay realizes what 'fun' TV can be...
I do think TV can be good and fun at times, but is also a distraction. And it's time not spend with each other.
Good luck!!
PS: tell me more about your household budget enveloppes...
Post a Comment