Thursday, March 29, 2007

Why I hate wal-mart

When a Wal-mart was built in our small town about 7 years ago most people were really excited. LaFayette had finally arrived. I was not as excited. Within a few years the local Kmart closed as did 2 local grocery stores and now the local hardware store seems to be struggling. The stores that were "in town" are moving out to the brand new ugly strip-malls that are being built on gorgeous land right outside of town and right next to Wal-mart.
I have noticed lately that since they have no real form of competition the service and selection at Wal-mart has gone downhill.
Here are a few examples:
- Last summer I had a coupon for Pampers brand swim diapers. They only carried the Huggies brand.
- Almost every time I have gone in to buy a bulk box of Jeremiah's size in diapers they are sold out.
- Yesterday I had a coupon for A&D daiper rash cream - you guessed it, they were sold out.
- Their toy selection sucks!
- There is never a sales person available when you need one. They are all standing in a certain aisle trading local gossip.
- And here is the ultimate: One of the things on my list yesterday was a calendar refil for my Day Runner. Since I had an antsy toddler I just grabbed the refil that was on the top and was the right size without really looking at it. I got home and was about to put it in my Day Runner when I noticed that the date on the front was 2005. Um, what the heck?! Why would Wal-mart have a 2005 refil still stocked on their shelves? Stupid, stupid, stupid.
I told Aaron it is time for our family to boycot.

1 comment:

Norman said...

Check this link out:

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/general_ssi/content/money_business/MT/070329/confessions_of_a_walmart_schiz.htm