Thursday, May 22, 2008

Digging in the dirt

My mom is a great gardener. She loves to dig around in the dirt and her garden always looks so great. I love the look of a great garden but am not so excited about all the work it takes. Since the boys love being outside I have found myself tackling small yard work projects as they play. Yesterday I transplanted some hosta that keeps springing up in odd places in the middle of the grass. It was a pretty easy project with quick and gratifying results.
Nathaniel loves being outside! As soon as I open the door he starts wiggling and talking baby talk - demanding to be put down so he can explore. And boy does he explore!

"This little watermelon plant looks interesting."


"I wonder what will happen if I dig up all this pine needle mulch?"


Blissfully dirty knees and feet. You should have seen the dirt under his fingernails!


Jeremiah poses by the finished product (the bunches of hosta). How's it looking oma?

The bags that you see are vegetables we are trying to grow. The only place that gets enough sun in our forest of a yard is right along the front of the house. So it looks kind of funny..... Jeremiah is very proud of the vegetable plants (he is standing next to the red and yellow pepper plants) and can't wait to pick something off of them. I am hoping that they will produce. We planted tomato, peppers, squash, cucumber, and of course a water melon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job helping your Mom in the yard guys!

Anonymous said...

Well of course I love to see my grandboys learning to enjoy gardening. Well done. Now just be patient en wait for the veggies.
love, oma