Thursday, December 04, 2008

Trimming the tree

On Tuesday night we decorated our Christmas tree. Yes, it is fake. Yes, I am lazy. I just can't see myself trying to keep a tree alive for a month. Plus, with a little guy in the house who eats just about anything I would drive myself crazy trying to keep him from consuming pine needles. Anyway, I digress.
Jeremiah was in a tizzy of anticipation all day because the tree was up and lit but we were waiting for Aaron to come home to decorate. I see now that I was a little ambitious in my expectations for the evening. Did I seriously think I was going to keep Nathaniel from grabbing every ornament in sight? Did I really think that Jeremiah was going to thoughtfully place ornaments around the tree in an aesthetic manner? So the evening was a little chaotic but still fun. We ended the festivities with hot cocoa and our daily advent reading (more about that in another post). After the kids were tucked in bed I was tempted to replace some of the ornaments that Jeremiah had hung (all clustered on the bottom branches) but then decided not to. It makes me smile to see the ornaments that drew his eye and think of the pride in which he placed them. When the kids are grown and out of the house I will have plenty of time to have my perfectly coordinated, decorated tree. Until then I enjoy the masterpiece that my little ones have created.

Nathaniel is really into the tree. I don't remember Jeremiah being this excited in past years. The first thing Nathaniel does in the morning is come out to the living room and point and jabber at the tree. So funny.













The boys proud of the finished product. We did take a family picture but I can't show it to you because it is going out in our Christmas card. :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We will hopefully trim our tree today/ tonight. We have a box of "Fuller safe" ornaments he can hang. Mommy and/ or Daddy hang the other ones.

Fuller keeps asking me when we will have the tree, so I need to get on it. :-)

Anonymous said...

such sweet pictures. i am sure you will treasure them for years to come. what a blessed woman you are sarah! love you.

mariana