Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The great homeschooling experiment

I think that we are finding a good rhythm to our days with papa gone at work. Last week was really hard for some reason. But so far (and it is only Tuesday) this week seems to be better. I have learned the importance of structure and routine when raising little ones. There has to be a plan for the day and the boys have to know what is coming next or chaos ensues and no one is happy.

We are continuing what I think of as "the great homeschooling experiment." When we decided not to send Jeremiah to a formal pre-K program this year we decided to make our schooling decisions for the boys on a yearly basis. For this year, Jeremiah's needs can best be served here at home. But, it is an experiment because:
1) I never ever in a million years pictured myself homeschooling so I am having to adjust my mindset a little (I must admit that I was/am one of those mothers that actually looked forward to waving my kids off to school on their first day and reclaiming some time for myself and other pursuits),
2) not having done any homeschooling before we have yet to see how the structure of it will take shape
3) we have no idea if Jeremiah will actually take to it.

Since this first year is pre-K we are easing into the homeschooling process. I have the idea that we will set aside some time for school work 3 mornings a week but I am willing to skip formal school work time for a fun outing or get together with other moms & children. Our main goal for schooling Jeremiah is that he will develop a love of learning.

I must admit that as I started poking around the internet and reading different books I started to become a tad overwhelmed (poking around the internet has that effect on me simply due to the vast amount of information). There are so many different home school models, methods, curriculum, activities. My mind was spinning and I thought, "There is absolutely no way on earth I can do this."

That's when I ran across this Rule of Six on a friends blog post (originates from this blog)
Six things to include in a child's day:
1. Meaningful work
2. Imaginative play
3. Good books
4. Beauty (art, nature, etc.)
5. Ideas to ponder & discuss
6. Prayer


Well now, I can do - and have been doing - that!

How freeing it was for me to realize that I don't have to be the most creative crafter or the most structured teacher in order for homeschooling to be effective. I had let myself fall into the trap of separating Jeremiah's education from our daily life. When I pondered this Rule of Six I realized that we have been educating Jeremiah since the day he was born. And I think that so far we have done a pretty good job. There are lots of things he can do (read, color in the lines, count) but more importantly he is a little boy who already shows a desire to learn.

So I am clearing my mind of my preconceived ideas of what it means to be a home schooling mom and proceeding with our own version of pre-K that mostly involves the 6 elements of our day and letting Jeremiah be a 4 year old boy discovering his world.

Let the adventure begin! (or do I mean continue?)



No comments: