Tuesday, August 04, 2009

What Mama is reading


Our first morning with Aaron off at work is over and I am rewarding myself with a cup of coffee and a (ok fine, 2) chocolate chip cookie. He didn't have to leave until 9am so we had a good breakfast of pancakes and eased into our morning.
Anyway.
I have had the chance to do a lot of reading this summer. A lot. I have used the extra time this summer to read old friends that I found when we unpacked books (Anne of Green Gables series) as well as discover new authors (Jodi Picoult). I have also taken the opportunity to read non-fiction books that have been on my Amazon wish list for a while now (Adopted for Life, Growing Compassionate Kids, Shepherding a Child's Heart).
I am usually reading more than one book at a time. My books are scattered through the house so that there is always one close enough for me to pick up when I have a moment or two. A devotional and novel always grace the bedside table. A novel, non-fiction book, and a magazine are on the end table in the living room. And there are always one or two books of mine tucked away in the sunroom for me to grab if it looks like the boys are playing well enough alone that they don't need me.
Since we go to the library every Monday my rotation of books changes on a weekly basis. This is what I have floating around the house this week.
Sonlight Homeschool Curriculum Catalog - I have had a few friends recommend this curriculum to me should we continue with homeschooling. It is a reading/literature based program which sounds like it would work great for our family since we all love to read. I am looking through the catalog to see what they offer and decide if it would be a good option for us once Jeremiah is formally in the 1st grade and Nathaniel is pre-K age. I am liking what I have seen so far.
The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien- Aaron and I decided to re-watch the movies last week. So I decided to re-read the books. These are just classics that I love to read over and over again.
Bringing Up Boys by James Dobson - I am going to admit something here, I am not generally a Dobson fan. I usually find his tone to be judgemental and condescending. I have not really been able to relate to his other parenting books because he is so black vs. white in what he feels are proper parenting techniques. I picked this up because I have boys and sometimes I am at a total loss as to how to raise them to be godly men. Again, Dobson is very conservative and fundamental in what he sees to be the challenges facing young men these days, but to my surprise I actually agree with much of what he says. I just wish he would have a few more practical tips and advice that I could use in daily life with my boys.
The Vaccine Book by Robert W. Sears, MD - I have blogged about this book before. I love it! I am reading it again as I prepare for Nathaniel's 2 year well child check up. The website is awesome too. I have come to really enjoy all the various Dr. Sears parenting books. They tend to fit my style of parenting much more than Dobson does.
The Hidden Art of Homemaking by Edith Shaeffer - This book is really challenging me. It is encouraging me to see my home and family as an outlet for artistic gifts that I (and others in the family) may have. I am being inspired to see beauty in my daily life and bring simple beauty into our home. The purpose of that beauty is for our home to inspire rest and creativity for our family as well as to create a place where people are welcome and feel the presence of God. I highly recommend this book to all women who have a home (or apartment, or cabin, or trailer) to care for, even if you are not married and don't have kids.

So that is what I am reading this week! What about you?

5 comments:

roadrunner201 said...

I have a couple of websites for reading based home school curr1cula where a lot of the materials are free on line. Let me know if you are interested.

jaywalker said...

still trying to get in to tad dekker, but i still don't like his books. for a book club i suggested prodigal summer by barbara kingsolver. when sinners say i do, i forget the author but it's really good so far.

Anonymous said...

wow, the book by Edith Schaffer, I read that years ago.

Barbara Kingsolver has also written Poisenwood Bible, which I highly recommend.

I am reading No Future with Forgiveness by Desmond Tutu, The invitation by W. Paul Young and 2 books by N.T. Wright "For All GOD'S Worth and Evil and the Justice of God.

One book about Children and parents that I have read several times is Little Lamb Who Made Thee? by Walter Wangerin, Jr.

mom

Anonymous said...

Correction on the title No Future Without Forgiveness.

mom

Sarah R. said...

now i have to add some books to my on-line library hold list!

i have read every barbara kingsolver book! she is one of my all time favorite authors.

and yes lisa, i would be interested in those websites.