Tuesday, December 15, 2009

New Christmas Music

One of the reasons I love Christmas music is because I only listen to it for 6 weeks out of the year. I wait for Thanksgiving weekend to pull out the favorite cd's and after playing them over and over again I am ready to put them away by New Year's.
I haven't bought new Christmas music in a long time. Mostly because I am becoming more selective of what I want to listen to. After a while all the renditions of "Holly Jolly Christmas" or "Jingle Bells" all start sounding the same. And the sappy songs about Christmas shoes and other such sentimentality just don't do it for me. Those are not things I want to spend my money on.
For me, music is key to helping focus my mind, heart, and thoughts in this season of Advent I want music that inspires meditation, worship and joy.
The other day in McKay's I took some time to peruse the Christmas music. Aaron told me that I should try and find more for our collection (maybe he was getting tired of Harry Connick, Jr. Amy Grant and Michael Card?). I was excited to run across a few cd's to add to the collection.

A Lion King Christmas: featuring the International Companies of The Lion King
This one was a complete surprise! The title caught my eye because of Nathaniel's recent obsession. As I read the back cover I saw mostly religious titles done by companies from all over the world. I was hoping that since the songs were done by the companies of The Lion King it would have some more African rhythms and flair. And it does! Good drums, great harmonies, awesome energy. This one is my very favorite this year. Two new songs have really helped me in my Advent meditations (while doing the dishes, smile); "Our Shepherd Boy" speaks of our need for rescuing and "Precious Boy" is sung from the perspective of Joseph and Mary as parents of the Christ Child. Beautiful! My all time favorite Christmas hymn is "O Holy Night" and let me just tell you that the energy and beauty in this rendition make me literally want to fall on my knees in worship.

Sarah McLachlan, Wintersong

I love her voice! So mellow and calm and inspiring. This cd has a great mix of secular and religious songs with different arrangements that make the old favorites sound new (but not silly). I especially love "River" which was originally done by Joni Mitchell.

Jewel, Joy: A Holiday Collection
I was actually pleasantly surprised by this. All of the songs but 2 are religious and really well done. Reverent and peaceful. The song "Face of Love" written by Jewel speaks simply and eloquently of the beauty of the incarnation.

Johnny Cash: The Christmas Spirit
If you know us at all you know what a "fan" Aaron is of Johnny Cash. I had no idea he had made a Christmas album. It is a beautiful mix of songs, story telling, and thoughts but Mr. Cash. This is not one to just have on in the background, you want to really take time to listen intently.

So, that is what we are listening to this year. What are your Christmas favorites?

2 comments:

Amy Ross said...

What, no Mariah Carey??? I am disappointed!! Just kidding ;-)

Michael said...

i went a little more classical this year than usual. loving "God in the Manger" by Stuart Neill, and Amazon had a download mix of piano arrangements that are really nice. But I also love the Big Band sound so Harry Connick and the Rat Pack are getting plenty of play! -jessica