The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, "This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me." In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me." For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes. - I Corinthians 11:23-26
On the last Sunday of the month our church family gathers over a shared meal to also share communion. I found it a beautiful way to begin the season of Advent. During Advent we focus on the wait for a Savior. Which of course begs the question, "Why did we need a Savior in the first place?"
For sure, the Christmas season is full of thought and joy. We think about the baby Jesus and imagine him soft and cuddly in a manger. But that is just the beginning of the story.
I realized in a new way this past Sunday as I took the bread and the cup that we are "proclaiming the Lord's death until he comes." WOW! This tangible reminder of the reason Christ came to dwell among us. Because God loves us. Because God wanted us to be in communion with him. Because only the perfect sacrifice of his Son can cleanse the sin that is deep in my soul.
So I proclaim. For myself. For the world.
How Deep the Father's Love For Us
by Stuart Townsend
How deep the Father's love for us
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure
How great the pain of searing loss
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the chosen One
Bring many sons to glory
Behold the Man upon a cross
My sin upon His shoulders
Ashamed I hear my mocking voice
Call out among the scoffers
It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished
I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection
Why should I gain from His reward
I cannot give and answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom.
On the last Sunday of the month our church family gathers over a shared meal to also share communion. I found it a beautiful way to begin the season of Advent. During Advent we focus on the wait for a Savior. Which of course begs the question, "Why did we need a Savior in the first place?"
For sure, the Christmas season is full of thought and joy. We think about the baby Jesus and imagine him soft and cuddly in a manger. But that is just the beginning of the story.
I realized in a new way this past Sunday as I took the bread and the cup that we are "proclaiming the Lord's death until he comes." WOW! This tangible reminder of the reason Christ came to dwell among us. Because God loves us. Because God wanted us to be in communion with him. Because only the perfect sacrifice of his Son can cleanse the sin that is deep in my soul.
So I proclaim. For myself. For the world.
How Deep the Father's Love For Us
by Stuart Townsend
How deep the Father's love for us
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure
How great the pain of searing loss
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the chosen One
Bring many sons to glory
Behold the Man upon a cross
My sin upon His shoulders
Ashamed I hear my mocking voice
Call out among the scoffers
It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished
I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection
Why should I gain from His reward
I cannot give and answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom.
No comments:
Post a Comment