Ask and you shall receive, that your joy may be full. - John 16:24
"Jesus wants me to be a happy, joyous disciple. He revealed the Good News of my redemption and the promise of eternal life to fill me with a joy which this world cannot give.
As he himself said: 'All this I tell you that my joy may be yours, and your joy may be complete.' (John 15:11)
Today, Jesus, I do come to 'ask' and 'receive' what you promised. In my prayer I ask that I may be filled with a deep, quiet, interior joy and become a channel of joy to everyone along the path I travel.
'Rejoice in the Lord always! I say it again. Rejoice!' (Phillipians 4:4)"
- from Follow Me: A Daily Guide to Scriptural Prayer by David E. Rosage
I will admit that my personality tends toward legalism. I turn grace into religion, a list of rules I can try to keep and a checklist of things that I need to do. My heart is never satisfied with this but sometimes it seems easier.
After a difficult day yesterday I woke with a sigh. My mind was already running through the things I wanted to do today. My heart was already dreading the sacrifices I knew I would have to make in order to parent my boys and love my husband. I knew that I was supposed to see blessings in all, to keep counting the gifts even in the midst of sickness and mess and weariness. But honestly, trying to dredge up joy just seemed like something else I had to do in order to be a good Christian.
Then I read the above devotional. I felt tears well behind my eyelids as this wonderful truth flooded my spirit. I can ask God for joy! He loves me so deeply His Son died to cover all my dirty sin, even the ugly sins I committed just yesterday evening. Then I start to smile and feel irrational joy start to quietly push aside my attitude of tired resignation because, oh joy!, I know the dark ugliness of my sin and I marvel at the depth of love to completely cover it.
And just like that showing love and grace to my family becomes a delight and joy for me, not because I have to do it but because I want them to experience the love and grace that I feel.
"Jesus wants me to be a happy, joyous disciple. He revealed the Good News of my redemption and the promise of eternal life to fill me with a joy which this world cannot give.
As he himself said: 'All this I tell you that my joy may be yours, and your joy may be complete.' (John 15:11)
Today, Jesus, I do come to 'ask' and 'receive' what you promised. In my prayer I ask that I may be filled with a deep, quiet, interior joy and become a channel of joy to everyone along the path I travel.
'Rejoice in the Lord always! I say it again. Rejoice!' (Phillipians 4:4)"
- from Follow Me: A Daily Guide to Scriptural Prayer by David E. Rosage
I will admit that my personality tends toward legalism. I turn grace into religion, a list of rules I can try to keep and a checklist of things that I need to do. My heart is never satisfied with this but sometimes it seems easier.
After a difficult day yesterday I woke with a sigh. My mind was already running through the things I wanted to do today. My heart was already dreading the sacrifices I knew I would have to make in order to parent my boys and love my husband. I knew that I was supposed to see blessings in all, to keep counting the gifts even in the midst of sickness and mess and weariness. But honestly, trying to dredge up joy just seemed like something else I had to do in order to be a good Christian.
Then I read the above devotional. I felt tears well behind my eyelids as this wonderful truth flooded my spirit. I can ask God for joy! He loves me so deeply His Son died to cover all my dirty sin, even the ugly sins I committed just yesterday evening. Then I start to smile and feel irrational joy start to quietly push aside my attitude of tired resignation because, oh joy!, I know the dark ugliness of my sin and I marvel at the depth of love to completely cover it.
And just like that showing love and grace to my family becomes a delight and joy for me, not because I have to do it but because I want them to experience the love and grace that I feel.
No comments:
Post a Comment