Thursday, January 28, 2010

Embarassing my past teenage self

I was not the kind of teenager who was secure in my own skin and content to be an individual. I was convinced that everyone was watching me and judging my every move. Maybe the fact that my childhood was so radically different from anyone I knew made me desperately want to be your average Gap clothed teenager who you couldn't pick out in a crowd.

So you can image that I hated shopping at thrift stores. I would get embarrassed and frustrated and just wish that we could go to the mall like everyone else. I would pick through the racks as quickly as I could, throw what I wanted into a bag and jet out of there before anyone I knew could see me. (Never mind that many of my friends shopped at thrift stores.)

Fast forward 20 years and now that I am in charge of my own household and finances I love shopping at thrift stores. As I learn to stretch Aaron's teaching salary I am constantly amazed at the name-brand, good quality things that I can find for a fraction of the price if I just take the time to look.

Yet, aside from all the practical reasons for shopping at thrift stores the main reason I enjoy it is the surprise factor. Sometimes I find little fun things that just make me happy and that I wouldn't normally buy (especially at retail price). What do you think my teenage self would have thought of my 33 year old self getting all excited and squealing with glee in the Goodwill when I saw this Dr. Seuss step stool for only $3.99?! I'm sure she would have rolled her eyes, shrugged her shoulders, and gone to the other end of the store - which is probably what my boys will do in a few years.

No comments: