Thursday, January 21, 2010

Who is this for anyway?

I continue to struggle in the area of consistent, loving, heart oriented discipline of my children. Some days go really well and some days just unravel and I feel completely out of control and out of my depth.

"Outward behaviors are only the manifestation of the real problem, which lies in the heart."
- Ginger Plowman


I have been challenged to use the Bible more and more in the correction and training of the boys. I believe that God's Word is powerful and effective and will speak much better to the hearts of my children than my words will. And yet in the middle of a discipline situation my mind goes blank and I sputter out lectures and arguments.

This week I copied verses from Ginger Plowman's Wise Words for Moms onto 3x5 cards. Each category of verses is in a different color (disobedience is blue, whining is orange, selfishness is pink etc.) with the verse written on one side of the card and the category on the other. I then put all the cards in a bowl in the middle of dining room table. Now, when I need to step in and use discipline in a situation the verses are right at my fingertips. They keep me focused on the goal of discipline (the heart, not authoritarian control). I am also able to give Jeremiah the cards so he can sit and read and think about his behavior himself. We are also working on memorizing one verse per week.

I started this "project" with visions of productive discipline solutions and compassionate, well-behaved children. But you know what? The same Word that I am praying will speak the heart of my children is speaking to my heart. Verses like:

Honor one another above yourself. - Romans 12:10
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. - Philippians 2:3
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths. - Galatians 4:29
Like a city whose walls are broken down is a man who lacks self-control. - Proverbs 25:28

As I continue this journey of learning to discipline my children I find my own heart being disciplined and convicted. This parenting thing is turning out to be much more than I bargained for.

No comments: