Tuesday, January 19, 2010

who needs tv?



I will admit that we have been using TV as a crutch the past month or so. Before Christmas the weather was so cold and there was so much to get done that the boys watched at least 1 (and most of the time 2) videos per day. While we were in Philadelphia they watched a few PBSkids shows every morning while Aaron and I got ready and cleaned up. When we got back I was so sick and tired (and it was so cold) that the boys watched many videos so that I could rest.

I am not against my kids watching TV. I think that there are times in life when TV has its place. However, I want to guard against it becoming a crutch for me and a given for the boys. So I knew that this week it was going to be time to cut back on the TV watching. And I will admit that I was a bit worried about that process. I prayed for extra grace, patience, and creativity.

God is so good in answering even the smallest and most selfish of prayers! The boys have not watched any movies since Friday and yet we have still managed to fill the days with things to do. The greatest blessing has been the warming temperatures. With their new found independence and creative play together the boys have been able to go out into the back yard and happily play without my constant supervision. They have been going on expeditions, finding dragons, feeding lions, hiding from wolves, and filling their treasure boxes. Who needs TV when there is all of that to do in our own back yard?


No comments: