Monday, September 20, 2010

1000 Gifts (29) - Community

I had this in depth post about community that I was crafting, but it just didn't flow right. And as I (finally) sit down after a long day I find my brain too fuzzy to really polish it up. So, suffice it to say that this Monday I am overwhelmed with gratitude for this feeling of being part of a community.... We had a week and weekend full of moments that just solidified our feeling of being right where God wants us to be; serving, working, enjoying, and developing relationships.

A few years ago when we were thinking about moving, Aaron and I really desired to feel more a part of a community. We wanted to know people well, to share our lives with others, to feel part of the place in which we lived. As we started to scope out other places to live we realized that the reason that we didn't feel like we were part of a community is because we were not intentionally fostering community. We were holed up in our house, busy with our lives, and expecting community to come find us. Duh....

So we decided to stay in our small town and be more intentional about creating community. Slowly that is what we have been doing. This weekend it hit me; we truly are part of a community now.

I feel so blessed to truly feel that we are part of a community here now. I grew up moving a lot and felt fairly root-less. I can feel our roots growing deeper here.

- a meeting of the local Library expansion committee, me being asked to serve after I was praying that I could find ways to do things that interested me and served the community

- seeing in very concrete ways how serving God with others develops real and honest relationships

- a house full of people

- 7 kids, playing in the yard until 10 p.m. running, shrieking, building, chasing fireflies, covered in dirt

- adult conversation on the deck, new relationships formed and old relationships deepened

- parenting talk on the side lines of the soccer field while the older kids play the game and the younger kids just play

- lunch at Chick-fil-A with other soccer families, laughter

- new friends

- roots developing

holy experience

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a testimony of God answering the good desires of our hearts. I am also determined to get more involved with the neighbors around me. This Friday there is an organzied meeting for the nieghborhood introducing up coming activitiesand time to mingle. I will see what neighborhood activity I can volunteer for. Oma