We finished school this past week!
Actually, we have been slowing down since March (when we finished Math and History), doing mainly handwriting and reading every day and some Science 2x a week. When spring arrived we just wanted to be outside! Also, having Oma and Opa visiting, along with my surgery just threw us all off whack and we never really recovered. So, I was thankful that the bulk of our work was done so early.
On Thursday we finished our last Science lesson and then packed up our books to send back to k12. (Because our curriculum was free through the state of Georgia we had to send back the items that can be used again.) It was fulfilling to wrap up our first official year of schooling at home. We had a sense of accomplishment and the good feeling of a job well done.
Jeremiah enjoyed this year and made good progress. He really enjoyed the lessons and was always enthusiastic for school time. Reading, Language Arts and History are his favorite subjects and they also come very naturally to him. He does enjoy Math as well and I am happy with the good start we have on the basic, foundational concepts. The area where I have seen the greatest improvement is in his handwriting! It is amazing what progress came after just 10 short minutes of practice per day. In my Mother's Day card this year he had written in such straight, neat lines with very well formed letters. We are still working on proper capitalization and punctuation, but one thing at a time right?
I saw this year as an experimental year for us. I learned a lot about being a teacher. I learned that schedule and structure are important but that being able to be flexible is key. I learned that it is more important to nurture a love of learning than to stress about "getting everything right." I learned that Nathaniel is capable of, and interested in, being much more involved in our History and Science lessons than I initially thought he would be. I learned that I actually enjoy being part of Jeremiah's learning process. I learned that no matter how hard I try. creative activities and crafty things are just not my strong suit. Smile.
We enjoyed using k12 and having the support of the Georgia Cyber Academy. It was a great program to get us on track for the first year. But there were many aspects of it that just weren't a good fit for our family. We have decided to use Sonlight curriculum next year and are really excited about that. In fact, next year's curriculum is already on it's way!
Actually, we have been slowing down since March (when we finished Math and History), doing mainly handwriting and reading every day and some Science 2x a week. When spring arrived we just wanted to be outside! Also, having Oma and Opa visiting, along with my surgery just threw us all off whack and we never really recovered. So, I was thankful that the bulk of our work was done so early.
On Thursday we finished our last Science lesson and then packed up our books to send back to k12. (Because our curriculum was free through the state of Georgia we had to send back the items that can be used again.) It was fulfilling to wrap up our first official year of schooling at home. We had a sense of accomplishment and the good feeling of a job well done.
Jeremiah enjoyed this year and made good progress. He really enjoyed the lessons and was always enthusiastic for school time. Reading, Language Arts and History are his favorite subjects and they also come very naturally to him. He does enjoy Math as well and I am happy with the good start we have on the basic, foundational concepts. The area where I have seen the greatest improvement is in his handwriting! It is amazing what progress came after just 10 short minutes of practice per day. In my Mother's Day card this year he had written in such straight, neat lines with very well formed letters. We are still working on proper capitalization and punctuation, but one thing at a time right?
I saw this year as an experimental year for us. I learned a lot about being a teacher. I learned that schedule and structure are important but that being able to be flexible is key. I learned that it is more important to nurture a love of learning than to stress about "getting everything right." I learned that Nathaniel is capable of, and interested in, being much more involved in our History and Science lessons than I initially thought he would be. I learned that I actually enjoy being part of Jeremiah's learning process. I learned that no matter how hard I try. creative activities and crafty things are just not my strong suit. Smile.
We enjoyed using k12 and having the support of the Georgia Cyber Academy. It was a great program to get us on track for the first year. But there were many aspects of it that just weren't a good fit for our family. We have decided to use Sonlight curriculum next year and are really excited about that. In fact, next year's curriculum is already on it's way!

No comments:
Post a Comment