Well, I posted my goals for last week and then the week turned out completely different then I had planned. All goals and thoughts of getting back on a schedule went completely out the window and we just had to go with the flow. Our family doesn't always function well when we don't have a schedule. Not to mention the fact that I was exhausted (apparently going from doing nothing for 6 weeks to going full-force is not really a healthy thing to do). So there was a lot of eating fast food, impatience, less than thoughtful words, and a whole lot of TV watching. The boys generally play well together unsupervised, but they do get bored, irritable and attention seeking when left to their own devices for too long. I get grouchy when my kitchen is a mess, I don't have time to meal plan and budget, and I don't get a least a few minutes of rest and alone time each day. I have no idea what makes Aaron irritable. That mans patience is astonishing.
I got to thinking about the summer. We love the summer because Aaron is home! But, we tend to ditch the schedule and just go with the flow. Which is fine in some ways, but in other ways leads to a lot of frustration. In the interest of all of our sanity, we are coming up with a flexible, workable schedule that will hopefully help us all to enjoy the summer months better. There are things we love doing in the summer; swimming, blueberry picking, having friends over for dinner, tackling projects around the house, heading out to explore a new park or find some other adventure. Those things are easier to do, and more enjoyable, when we know that things are taken care of at home.
This is what we have so far:
Morning:
Sarah Up (Bible study, prayer, planning)
Boys Up (breakfast, chores)
Spend time outside (either in our own yard or an outing somewhere)
Sarah time to clean house & do chores (a few times a week)
Afternoon:
Lunch
Rest/Nap Time
Read Aloud and/or handwriting practice (Jeremiah)
Play time
Evening:
Dinner (weekend's invite friends!)
Bath & Bed
Obviously, this schedule is nothing earth shattering. However, following a rhythm to each day works well for us.
My tendency during the summer is to think that I can sleep in every morning. I learned last year that this does not work! Getting up and starting my day before the boys join me continues to be the best tool I have for maintaining stability and sanity. I hope to continue this, even with Aaron home for the summer.
We are looking forward to summer!
I got to thinking about the summer. We love the summer because Aaron is home! But, we tend to ditch the schedule and just go with the flow. Which is fine in some ways, but in other ways leads to a lot of frustration. In the interest of all of our sanity, we are coming up with a flexible, workable schedule that will hopefully help us all to enjoy the summer months better. There are things we love doing in the summer; swimming, blueberry picking, having friends over for dinner, tackling projects around the house, heading out to explore a new park or find some other adventure. Those things are easier to do, and more enjoyable, when we know that things are taken care of at home.
This is what we have so far:
Morning:
Sarah Up (Bible study, prayer, planning)
Boys Up (breakfast, chores)
Spend time outside (either in our own yard or an outing somewhere)
Sarah time to clean house & do chores (a few times a week)
Afternoon:
Lunch
Rest/Nap Time
Read Aloud and/or handwriting practice (Jeremiah)
Play time
Evening:
Dinner (weekend's invite friends!)
Bath & Bed
Obviously, this schedule is nothing earth shattering. However, following a rhythm to each day works well for us.
My tendency during the summer is to think that I can sleep in every morning. I learned last year that this does not work! Getting up and starting my day before the boys join me continues to be the best tool I have for maintaining stability and sanity. I hope to continue this, even with Aaron home for the summer.
We are looking forward to summer!
1 comment:
I work so much better on a schedule, too. Unfortunately, I am just not good at setting one for myself. Reminds me, we need to set a walking schedule. Jude is up with the sun these days, so just say when:-)
Post a Comment