Monday, May 16, 2011

Goals for the week

I'm writing down my goals for this week for 2 reasons. One, I can't really think of anything else to write. Two, I figured maybe writing them down here will give some measure of accountability so that I will actually follow through.

Goal 1: Wake up and get going (before the boys)
For a while I was really on track with this. But, my surgery and having company in the house has thrown my schedule off track. I realized the other day that our days really do go better when I am disciplined to get up and start my day before the boys wake up. I jumped at the Maximize Your Morning Challenge being run by Inspired to Action. So, I am setting my alarm for 6am every morning and making myself get out of bed. The boys wake anytime between 7 and 8, so this way I get at least one and possibly two hours to myself before the regular routine of the day begins.

Goal 2: Read my Bible and pray every day
Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is the bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. -John 15:4,5
I don't even pretend to know all it means to "abide in Christ" but I am learning more and more every day about admitting that I am powerless over my own sin. I am learning that the only way I can show fruit (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness & self-control) is to focus on Him rather then on myself. One way to do that is to find out who He is through what He has revealed in the Bible. And to spend more focused time in prayer, conversation with Him.

Goal 3: No sweets on weekdays
I have struggled with discipline in my eating habits for a long time. I recently heard about a "diet" that was more of a life-style change. No sweets, seconds or snacks unless it is a day that starts with S (or a special day). Sweets are my downfall. So I am trying to incorporate discipline in that area.

Goal 4: Exercise of some kind, 10 minutes per day
I still am not cleared after surgery to start working out fully yet. But, I want to get in the habit of exercising every day. I need to ease in to this because I honestly hate working out and have to force myself to do it. So, 10 minutes per day should be doable. Even if it is just a walk around the block.

So, those are my goals for this week. My attempts to build some discipline back into my life. What are some of your goals?

No comments: