Jeremiah's first day of class at Hilger Higher Learning (Aug 20, 2012).
Nathaniel's bow and arrows. What he chose to buy with his birthday money.
This is what I am realizing this year of homeschooling: If we are going to be a "homeschooling family" (which we are at this point) we are going to have to actually protect our homeschool time.
Jeremiah was pretty easy to start on homeschooling. He was already reading, he is self directed, he is able to sit still and concentrate for long periods of time, and he is motivated. I really had to do very little work when it came to schooling him. I could basically point him in the right direction and let him go. Nathaniel's personality is completely different. He is energetic and on-the-go. I am teaching him to read. He needs much more one-on-one instruction time with me and lots more hands on manipulatives.
Before adding 2nd/3rd grade work as well as Nathaniel to the homeschool mix it was very easy to just slip school in around the other things we had going. It was easy to get the bulk of our school work done in about 2 hours a day, leaving plenty of time for running errands, going on outings, meeting up with friends. I honestly wasn't prepared for the change we would experience this year. As we are now in our 3rd week of adding Core work along with handwriting and Math I am realizing that we are going to have to protect our morning school time. There is just no way around it. The reality is that Jeremiah needs more direct instruction from me. Nathaniel needs a lot more of my undivided attention. All of that can only happen if we are committed to being at home for 3-4 hours a morning, 4 morning's per week.
On Monday night I spent about 2 hours in the school room preparing for the week ahead. As I thought everything through and gathered the materials I realized that I can't just say we are dabbling in homeschooling anymore. For this year we are committed to this lifestyle. We believe this is the best choice for our family and children. The way we spend our time must reflect the priorities we have made. Now, with 2 kids officially homeschooling, more difficult grade work, and the need for more one-on-one teaching time I simply have to work harder and prioritize my time. I have to put effort into preparation. I have to schedule our daily school time and stick to that schedule.
With that in mind Monday has become our day for errands, outings, and seeing friends. Tuesday through Friday mornings will have to be protected. This is a shift for us. It is going to take some discipline. But I believe it will pay off.
We still enjoy homeschooling. I still believe it offers us more flexibility and a better education than the kids would get in our local public school. Because we are home 4 mornings a week our crazy evening soccer schedule doesn't mess us up too much because we don't officially start our school time until about 8:30am which gives the boys time to sleep or rest after late night games and practice.
Last week we were studying Europe in the Middle Ages. The boys loved reading about monks, knights, castles, and kings. One of our read alouds was Tales of Robin Hood. Yesterday our backyard became Sherwood Forest as the boys spent the afternoon acting out their own adventures of Robin Hood. As I listened I smiled. This opportunity to homeschool is a gift. Even when it is hard, and I wonder if the kids are really learning anything, I love seeing these two boys becoming friends and learning and playing together.


3 comments:
funny how we approach the same thing so differently. homeschool has been a huge, A HUGE adjustment for me this year - maybe even bigger than adopting. because austin is behind and very unmotivated and takes longer to assimilate information, we are doing homeschool at minimum five hours a day. i'm really having a hard time getting anything else done around it, and i can't even imagine homeschooling another at the same time. at the same time, it's fun and we are also doing football four days a week. but i hardly spend any time at all in preparation - my math and english curriculums are pretty scripted.
anyway, i know comparing is evil :) but i'm really interested to see how other parents are doing this.
I have so much respect for you and this decision. In NL we don't have the option to home school - and to be honest; I think I would lack the discipline to be a home school mum. Your dad explained your reasons the other day when we were in Philadelphia and I understand why you made this decision. It shows how you have your sons well-being as a nr 1 priority! Again; respect!
anonymous - yes. i wouldn't compare. everyone's reasons for homeschooling are different and every child is different. you are working hard and doing what is best for Austin. how long have you been officially homeschooling? i have found every year it takes about a month or so to get into our groove.
ylonka - thanks! i know that homeschooling is strange to most dutch people. but you guys have so much more choice in schooling. here we are stuck with basically our local public school or a private school we cannot afford. so homeschooling it is!
Post a Comment