Friday, May 16, 2008

Answer to prayer

I just had to share this answer to prayer that is another encouragement of how much God cares for us.
On Aaron's graduation day his grandparents handed him a card. Assuming that it probably contained some cash (since that is what grandparents do! hee hee) we made sure to put it in the bottom of the stroller and I kept an eye on it all day to make sure it didn't get misplaced in all the crazyness. As we were loading up the car after the ceremony I specifically took the card out of the bottom of the stroller thinking "We don't want to lose this."
When we got home and looked through our things the card was gone. We searched everywhere and it was no where to be found. Aaron even called the restaurant where we had eaten to see if it was there. No luck.
We found out from Aaron's grandparents that there was in fact cash in there.
Aaron sent a college-wide email asking if anyone found it to sent it to us. I had little hope that would actually happen.
I was really upset with myself. I couldn't figure out where it had gotten lost, especially when I thought I was being so careful and responsible. I was mad at myself for losing what was meant to be a gift for Aaron. I was upset thinking of all the ways we could have used that money but now it was gone.
After 2 days of stewing over it I prayed and let it go. I realized that I was taking on too much guilt for the lost card and that since there was nothing more to be done I should just stop worrying and trust God to bring peace to my heart - even if we never got the cash back. I prayed for peace, I prayed that I would let go of my guilt, I prayed that God would somehow return the money to us, that whoever found the card would feel led to return it. That was a few days ago and I haven't thought about it since.
The card arrived today in the mail! It hadn't even been opened. There was no return address or any way for us to see who found it and sent it. Under Aaron's name (which was written in his grandmothers handwriting) was our address neatly written in what looks like female handwriting.

Aside from the monetary gift I am so thankful for God's clear way of showing His love and care for us. What an incredible, tangible way for God to reach down and say, "I love you!"

2 comments:

icajay said...

I am so so glad it turned up!! How cool!

jaywalker said...

that is a very cool story. i love it!

hey, we will give you some favorite music, just tell us what kind of stuff you like. here are some for starters: anything tony bennett, but my favorite is "just in time." some christian stuff i have been listening to recently: nicole nordeman (how deep the fathers love for us), fernando ortega (assorted hymns), days of elijah (twila paris did it first but i like a version on an album by beth moore), anything stuart townend. for a funky beat, try matisyahu and get your reggae hassidic funk on! ollabelle sings really fun folk songs. for throwback music, try etta james, michael buble, and billie holliday. for a little get-up-and-dance from philly, try g. love and special sauce. and you can't go wrong with a little sting!