Monday, August 03, 2009

School Begins

Today is our last day of "summer break." Aaron goes back to work tomorrow to prepare his classroom with kids returning to school on Thursday. I must admit that I am a tad anxious about this. It has been so great having his help here at home. Jeremiah responds so well to Aaron's patient parenting. I admit I tend to get impatient and irritable with Jeremiah.
I have been mentally preparing to hit the ground running once Aaron is back at work. It is my goal to wake before the boys do (they wake around 7am now) and have a few minutes for coffee and Bible reading to prepare myself for the day. I know it is going to take a few days for the 3 of us at home to re-establish a routine.
We did not have to make any formal decisions regarding schooling for Jeremiah this year as he is only 4 and would be going to a pre-K program. We discussed our options and at the end of the day felt that paying even the low cost of $50/week for the church run pre-K program was just a waste of money. We would really be sending him to school for "socialization" (I really don't like that word) and Aaron and I both feel that we can provide enough opportunities for Jeremiah to "socialize" without having to pay for it.
That being said, we do feel that it is important to start some kind of schooling routine. It will not be every day at this point but probably about 3 mornings a week for just an hour or so. The idea is for Jeremiah (and me) to get into the habit of having a regular learning time. I decided not to pay for a complete curriculum (it's just pre-K folks!) but to piece together some fun learning things as I found them. I found great work books at the Target $1 spot and a Leap Frog math puzzle game at a salvage store. We also go to story hour at our library every Monday morning and I thought that we could utilize that time to find books that correspond to what we are learning that week.
We will be focusing on Math, Social Studies and Science. As for reading, he reads all the time! We are moving on to more advanced reading comprehension by reading chapters from the original Winnie the Pooh books and talking about them. Jeremiah loves Winnie the Pooh and has been pretending to be Tigger for almost a month now. He likes to say, "I spend my day bouncing around!" and "Yeck! Tigger's don't like ----!"
As for "socialization". We are considering starting him in the local rec-club soccer program this fall.
So we shall see how this all goes. It is going to take discipline and planning on my part. Yet I feel some excitement as we start this new phase. If you have any advice about home schooling pre-schoolers or home schooling in general I welcome it!

1 comment:

Alli said...

Ah, the socialization issue. I struggle with it too. I panicked this past Wednesday when I realized many of the kids Fuller hangs out with at Moms Group will be in school this year or not coming anymore due to their homeschool schedule.

We are starting Pre-K too, with our own cobbled together tools and texts. I went to the homeschool fair two weekends ago and really got inspired (and overwhelmed!). I still need to write a post about it.