Monday, November 05, 2007

My questions answered



People, I cannot recommend this book enough. Especially if you were like me and so confused about what to do with vaccinating your child(ren). I was so frustrated with my internet research. Most of it was fear based, surprise surprise, or just too technical to understand. I have read this book and it has answered many of my questions.
Every chapter details a different disease/vaccine combination answering these questions
- What is (the disease)?
- Is (the disease) common?
- Is (the disease) serious?
- Is (the disease) treatable?
- When is (the specific vaccine) given?
- How is (the specific vaccine) made?
- What ingredients are in the final vaccine solution?
- What are the side effects of the vaccine?
- Reasons to get this vaccine.
- Reasons people choose not to get this vaccine.
- Travel considerations
- Options to consider when getting this vaccine.
- The way I see it (his personal opinion about the vaccine).
This book gave me the clear concise information I was looking for with out trying to scare the pants off of me. It helped Aaron and I to evaluate the risks of the diseases, the risks of vaccines, our lifestyle, and the social issues so that we were able together to come to a decision that we are comfortable.
In my review of this book in other places I have not said what our decision is but since this is my blog I will do that. We have decided to get Nathaniel vaccinated on a somewhat delayed schedule. Our reasons for that are multiple:
1. Some of the diseases can be very serious in infants and children and it seems like the chances of Nathaniel having a serious reaction to vaccinations is very slim.
2. Our lifestyle is such that we cannot ever be certain of what germs and diseases our children are exposed to. Aaron is a teacher, we do ministry, we travel, we like to put our kids in church nursery and Mother's Day Out. Also, I am not willing to breastfeed for 2 years, which is what is recommended for children who are not vaccinated.
3. I do believe that there is a certain socially responsible element to having kids vaccinated. Having kids vaccinated can eliminate certain diseases from the population. Some of these diseases are not only serious for children but can severely effect pregnant women (birth defects) and the elderly. We live in a world where we are all connected - my decision not to vaccinate my child can have a serious effect on others.
In a nutshell - it seemed to us that the benefits of having Nathaniel vaccinated outweigh the possible, slim risks. That said, we are still going to be as careful as we can be. The schedule we have chosen doesn't give more than 2 shots at a time and never combines shots that have aluminum in them. It delays the shots for illnesses more common in older children until Nathaniel is older and more at risk. So I will call the pediatrician this morning and make our 3 month appointment.

1 comment:

Amy Ross said...

Sarah-
I LOVED that book too and have followed his advice!! I know that it is a hard decision, but we have to make the best one for our family, child, and situation. The greatest blessing your boys have is a mom who cares and yearns to provide the best care for her little ones! And ultimately trusting in God, knowing that HE is sovereign...Oh, and I owe you an email back... sorry will do soon! But just fyi, I did get the clothes! Thanks!