Love cares more for others than for self.
Love doesn't want what it doesn't have.
Love doesn't strut,
Doesn't have a swelled head,
Doesn't force itself on others,
Isn't always "me first,"
Doesn't fly off the handle,
Doesn't keep score of the sins of others,
Doesn't revel when others grovel,
Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth,
Puts up with anything,
Trusts God always,
Always looks for the best,
Never looks back,
But keeps going to the end.
Love never dies.
-1 Corinthians 13:4-8a from The Message
Oh boy.
Let me tell you that I have not been loving the past few weeks (maybe months?). And by "not being loving" I mean that my actions have been the exact opposite of what is described in 1 Corinthians. With not caring more for others than for self, flying off the handle, keeping score of the sins of others, not putting up with anything, and not trusting God being at the top of the list.
Seriously.
The sin in my soul is deep and dirty.
I see my sin bringing visible distance between Aaron and myself, the cold silences, the indifferent kisses, the dimming of joy. I am stopped short at the sin I see reflected in the sarcastic tone of my son, his raised voice, his impatience, his disrespect.
Some days I plod through. Trying valiantly to love in action but failing miserably more times than I care to count. The weight of imperfection heavy on my spirit.
I cry out, "How can I love?!" more importantly, "How can You love me?!"
Then I hear a whisper,
For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. For one will scarcely die for a righteous person - though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die - but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. (Romans 5:6-8)
I am reminded that my love cannot flow from myself. My love will always be imperfect. My attempts to force loving actions will fall flat and feel stale. I cannot feel and show love until (and here comes the hope and joy!) I feel this love myself.
So in a moment of quiet I purpose to glory in God's love for me. I choose to revel in His patience and kindness.
Have I flown off the handle? Yes.
Have I cared more for myself than others? You bet.
Have I wanted what I don't have? Please...
Have I been impatient? You don't really want to know.
Have I kept score of the sins of others? Check.
And yet, God shows His love for me!
I pray,
Jesus! Allow me to cast aside my attempts at love that come from guilt and outward expectations. Allow me to experience the depth of your love, especially in the most dirty and disappointing moments of my day. Thank you for loving me in a way I cannot comprehend yet somehow can feel.
Amen.
Let me tell you that I have not been loving the past few weeks (maybe months?). And by "not being loving" I mean that my actions have been the exact opposite of what is described in 1 Corinthians. With not caring more for others than for self, flying off the handle, keeping score of the sins of others, not putting up with anything, and not trusting God being at the top of the list.
Seriously.
The sin in my soul is deep and dirty.
I see my sin bringing visible distance between Aaron and myself, the cold silences, the indifferent kisses, the dimming of joy. I am stopped short at the sin I see reflected in the sarcastic tone of my son, his raised voice, his impatience, his disrespect.
Some days I plod through. Trying valiantly to love in action but failing miserably more times than I care to count. The weight of imperfection heavy on my spirit.
I cry out, "How can I love?!" more importantly, "How can You love me?!"
Then I hear a whisper,
For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. For one will scarcely die for a righteous person - though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die - but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. (Romans 5:6-8)
I am reminded that my love cannot flow from myself. My love will always be imperfect. My attempts to force loving actions will fall flat and feel stale. I cannot feel and show love until (and here comes the hope and joy!) I feel this love myself.
So in a moment of quiet I purpose to glory in God's love for me. I choose to revel in His patience and kindness.
Have I flown off the handle? Yes.
Have I cared more for myself than others? You bet.
Have I wanted what I don't have? Please...
Have I been impatient? You don't really want to know.
Have I kept score of the sins of others? Check.
And yet, God shows His love for me!
I pray,
Jesus! Allow me to cast aside my attempts at love that come from guilt and outward expectations. Allow me to experience the depth of your love, especially in the most dirty and disappointing moments of my day. Thank you for loving me in a way I cannot comprehend yet somehow can feel.
Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment