Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Water Everywhere

The farm of a friend of ours. They are flooded in.
We are praying the water doesn't rise to the bard and ruin the hay that they sell in the winter.

This scene from the town that Aaron grew up in.

It rained all week last week, which was actually a huge relief to me since I had a bad cold and the rain provided a good excuse to plop the kids in front of DVD's so that I could rest. (Please, I'm not the only mother that has done that...) On Sunday as we were driving home from Steve & Brenda's house the road we were on was flooded in some areas so we had to drive around to find dry roads home. Sunday night we got a record amount of rainfall and flooding began in earnest. Aaron went to school on Monday(no students) but returned home early. If he had left any later it would have been very difficult for him to get home. He was home today and will be home tomorrow. The parking lot of a grocery store in our town was under feet of water. Another store had the front wall cave in from all the water. A boy who attends Aaron's school drowned in the flood waters. You can read about it here as well as see pictures from flooding all around this area. Atlanta was a mess. The governor of our state is declaring a state of emergency for many counties.

We have been snug in our house. It has been nice to enjoy extra time with Aaron, rest, and get some things done. Today we enjoyed an evening walk in the sunshine. Thankful to get outside to stretch our legs and burn off energy. I realized again that we are blessed beyond what we can imagine. While the water wrecked havoc for others flooding homes, ruining crops, taking lives, we have been safe and dry enjoying a mini-vacation of sorts. These are the things that I can so easily take for granted. Tonight, I choose not to. I look around at my dry house, hear the sound of my children's laughter as they play with their papa, and know that these are blessings from my God. I also breathe a prayer for God's provision and comfort for those who have experienced loss.

No comments: