Monday, September 21, 2009

Sewing!


I was so thrilled to inherit from Grannie Bettis one of her (many) sewing machines and this beautiful antique sewing machine table. The table is such a charming piece, the perfect blend of beauty and function.
I grew up watching my mom sew (there were no stores to buy clothes in Nigeria) and I know the basics. But I haven't sewn much because I could never quite get older machines that I had acquired to work. I also didn't have a designated sewing spot and I just wasn't inspired to haul everything out to the dining room table, sew for a few minutes, then have to pack it all away again.
But now in our guestroom I have a perfect little sewing nook. And after getting my in-laws help in getting this machine in good running order I was able last night to complete my first sewing project. I was so excited! Yep! That "thing" you see hanging on the chair is a nursing cover! complete with straps and boning! It was an easy project. I am so excited because now I have a cute, simple, handmade, practical, (and inexpensive) gift that I can give to someone having a baby. (I may even try to sell some once I perfected the process.)
I am going to make one more nursing cover for Cherise and then venture into other territory like pj's pants for the boys, decorative pillows, or finally finishing those curtains that my mom helped me cut out when I was pregnant with Jeremiah! :-) Anyone have any ideas for simple, quick sewing projects?

4 comments:

Amy Ross said...

Aprons are always fun...and def. cheaper when you sew them yourself. My new favorite project is making "crayon rolls." You can google it and get ideas/patterns. Very cheap, fun gift...buy a pack of crayons and some paper or a notebook and you're good!

I always always sew my boys' Halloween costumes.

Happy Sewing!

jaywalker said...

i had a friend give me a little pair of overalls that she had sewed. they were reversible, and so cute. but i am sewing-impaired. someday i would like to learn the basics so that i can make my own curtains and table linens.

Sarah R. said...

yeah, i'm pretty sure i'm not up to overalls yet. but i do have plans for some nice fall napkins and place mats!

Anonymous said...

Placemats and napkins are very simple. The teapot cozy for my teapot is also very easy to sew and great gifts. Let me know if you want the patron. Mom