Monday, May 24, 2010

My Eeyore Syndrome (1000 Gifts 20)

We used to have this game that we played in sociology class where we identified every one we knew as one of the characters from Winnie-the-Pooh. The kicker was that we usually ended up being the character that we like the least. I've thought about this often, especially now that we read and listen to the Winnie-the-Pooh books over and over again. As much as I dislike it, I am an Eeyore. Not the cute, just slightly down Eeyore of the Disney books and movies, but the constantly negative, self-depreciating, depressed Eeyore of the original books. I am always envious of those enthusiastic, energetic Tigger's I know. The calm Pooh's who just live life and know it will all work out.

That is why I count my gifts. Because as much as I wish it did, gratitude does not come naturally for me. Even in the midst of my bountifully blessed life, in which I have more stuff and food than I know what to do with and in which I have yet to experience any deep, heart breaking loss I still grumble and gripe and complain.

Noticing the gifts and writing them down every evening before I sleep helps me combat my Eeyore syndrome by taking my eyes off of myself and seeing God at work around me.

- a good night's sleep
- listening to rain fall
- a cardinal nest in the juniper tree
- bright red amaryllis blooms, prolific in the yard
- a wood pecker
- Jeremiah's insistence on planting an apple seed so that we don't have to buy fruit from the store any more
- magnolia blossoms, pure white and lovely
- a husband who takes care of the kids so that I can indulge myself in coordinating a wedding
- the beauty of a bride on her wedding day
- the look of joy & amazement on a grooms face as he watches his bride come to him
- the bittersweet reminder that one day my son's will leave me
- the breathtaking view of the valley from Lookout Mountain
- Nathaniel asking to sit next to his friend Eli at the reception
- worship in song:
There is no one else for me, none but Jesus
Crucified to set me free, now I live to bring Him praise.

I join the gratitude community by counting my daily gifts. They number 440 in my journal, I choose some to share here.
holy experience

No comments: