Friday, May 27, 2011

5 Minute Friday - On Forgetting


Joining The Gypsy Mama for 5 minutes of writing (no editing) on a Friday. (Still can't get the button to work - so just follow this link.)
Today's topic: On Forgetting

GO

I have a horrible memory. I to this day can't remember a whole week in which a friend came and stayed with us in Amsterdam. She remembers staying in my room, hanging out with my friends, being shown around the city. We joke that I still don't remember it. Really.

I fear forgetting a lot of things. The singular smell of rain hitting dusty African soil. The crisp glimmer of spring sunshine on Amsterdam canals. The first heady moments of Aaron's arms around me. The wonderful, ethereal moments when my new born was laid on my chest. The heavy feel and sweet smell of a baby sleeping with his face buried right in that spot on my neck. Jeremiah's laugh. Nathaniel's lisp.

I also forget things on a daily basis. I forget to keep a calm and respectful tone of voice. To encourage adventure. To read more books out loud. To laugh. To play. That one thing on the grocery list that I really needed.

Then there is one thing I do want to forget. Myself. Every day I battle to forget myself in order to remember to be filled with the Spirit. Only in forgetting myself can I serve. Only in forgetting myself do I find myself again. A self infinitely different, but more real, than I ever expected to be.

STOP

3 comments:

MLH said...

The daily forgetting...oh how I can relate. And honestly, those things, the keeping a calm voice, reading aloud, those are the things that matter most, the things that you will miss the very most when they are gone.

jaywalker said...

i am the same way. i have blocked out a lot of mike's residency and med school, and all four years of high school. but i can remember meals and feelings. i think some of us are just this way. and that's why a blog/journal is GOOD.

Julie on an adventure said...

I can relate in a lot of ways. I have a strong memory in some areas, but not in others:). I like your heart here, and I think this is a message we all can be reminded of... to forget ourselves to be constantly filled up with Him. Thanks!!