Thursday, August 11, 2011

Nathaniel is learning his letters!

August 2007
When oma and opa were here 4 years ago, right before Nathaniel's birth, they bought this book for Jeremiah because they saw how interested he was in learning his letters. At 2 1/2 he was already recognizing letters and trying to sound out words. The book has little magnetic letters that a child is to use to match the words in the book. It is great for early letter recognition and spelling. I have almost gotten rid of it a number of times in our regular book purges, but it just seemed so useful that I hung on to it. Plus, opa and oma bought it so it has some sentimental value.

August 2011
This week Nathaniel has suddenly shown a great interest in learning to recognize letters so I decided to pull the book out during school time. Just look at this proud boy! Up until now my attempts at getting him to recognize letters have been met with joking around and calling every letter "C". Then, this week, something clicked. He was ready and has been on a roll ever since. I would say that now he is consistently recognizing and naming about 1/2 the letters in the alphabet. And while we work on recognition we work on the phonetic sounds as well. Might as well kill two birds with one stone right? So our Dr. Seuss' ABC's & Hop on Pop books which were so well loved by Jeremiah are being put to good use once again. Go, Nathaniel! Go!

No comments: