One of my biggest challenges as a mother is feeding my family healthy, tasty, inexpensive food that they enjoy. This recipe was always a favorite when I was growing up and it has become a staple in our house now too. It is easy, inexpensive, and easy to customize depending on what you have on hand. If I want to stretch my meat I use less meat and add black beans. One time I made the filling out of chicken, feta cheese and spinach. When I serve the "regular" recipe I like to add traditional taco sides like lettuce, avocado, salsa and sour cream to make it a very filling meal.
Taco Loaf
Bread:
1 Tb sugar
1 tsp salt
1 Tb yeast
1 cup warm water
1 Tb oil
3 1/4 cup flour
Filling:
1 lb ground beef
1 pkg taco seasoning
2 tomatoes, diced
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Mix sugar, salt, yeast, water & oil in large bowl. Add flour one cup at a time (may not need all). Knead dough until smooth. Let rest 10-15 minutes.
Brown beef and add taco seasoning according to package directions. Remove, drain, add tomatoes and cheese.
Roll dough to 9x16 rectangle. Spread filling on left and center 2/3's of dough. Fold 9 inch side without filling over middle section with filling. Then fold 9 inch side with filling over middle section to layer. Seal edges and place on cookie sheet. Make slits 1 inch apart on dough.
Bake at 400F for 25 minutes.

No comments:
Post a Comment