In our morning prayer time (using Common Prayer: A Liturgy for Ordinary Radicals) the daily readings have been from Revelation. I used to avoid the book of Revelation because I honestly have no idea what it means, and I am not one to sit and talk hours of theology over the end times because it seems kind of pointless. But our pastor recently reminded us that the point of the book of Revelation is really quite simple:
God wins.
And to read it from that perspective has been refreshing.
With that perspective in mind I share these beautiful verses that we read on Monday morning:
The second woe has passed; the third woe is coming soon.
The seventh angel sounded his trumpet, and there were loud voices in heaven which said:
"The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of his Christ, and he will reign for ever and ever."
And the twenty four elders, who were seated on their thrones before God, fell on their faces and worshiped God, saying:
"We give thanks to you; Lord God Almighty, the One who is and who was, because you have taken your great power and begun to reign.
The nations were angry; and your wrath has come.
The time has come for judging the dead, and for rewarding your servants the prophets and your saints and those who reverence your name, both small and great --
and for destroying those who destroy the earth."
Then God's temple in heaven was opened, and within his temple was seen the ark of his covenant. And there came flashes of lightning, rumblings, peals of thunder, an earthquake and a great hailstorm.
- Revelation 11:14-19
As I read this passage the boys were wide-eyes and completely still. Can you picture it? The angel sounding his trumpet and the loud voices in heaven and the elders falling on their faces proclaiming God's glory and truth and righteousness, and the heavens ripping open and the holiness of God flashing and thundering and shaking the earth? I get goosebumps when I read these reminders of the holiness and power of my God. Tears come to my eyes because I know that even though I stumble sinfully through this life, and I grieve over war and famine and death and injustice, God will win.
We were recently introduced to a new song that has quickly become a favorite for our family, The Earth Is Yours by Gungor.We turn it up loud and dance crazy around the house because we serve the God who created this earth and who will return to make all things that are wrong right again. God will win.
The Earth Is Yours by Gungor from the album Beautiful Things
Your voice it thundersThe oaks start twisting
The forest sounds with cedars breaking
The waters see You and start their writhing
From the depths a song is rising
Now it’s rising from the ground
Holy, Holy
Holy, Holy Lord
The earth is Yours and singing
Holy, Holy
Holy, Holy Lord
The earth is Yours
The earth is Yours
Your voice it thunders
The ground is shaking
The mighty mountains now are trembling
Creation sees You
And starts composing
The fields and trees they start rejoicing.
Now it's rising from the ground
It’s rising from the ground
Hear us crying out
Hear us crying out
Holy, Holy
Holy, Holy Lord
The earth is Yours and singing
Holy, Holy
Holy, Holy Lord
The earth is Yours
The earth is Yours
1 comment:
i haven't commented recently but i still read! love your thoughts on revelation - i love it when the simplest thing is the easiest!
Post a Comment