Friday, January 06, 2012

5 Minute Friday - Roar

Joining 5 Minute Friday at The Gypsy Mama.
The Rules:
1. Write for 5 minutes flat – don’t edit; don’t second-guess.
2. Link back here and invite others to join in.
3. Must: leave a comment for the person who linked up before you – encouraging them in their writing!

Today's Prompt: Roar

GO 

I often roar, loud and ugly. I watch my kids shrink back as I roar red and mean. I want what I want. I want quiet and control and good behavior. I want a few minutes to myself. I want to roar. In that moment the roaring feels right and wrong. 

When did I become this person? This person who bullies with her roaring? This person willing to stomp all over the soft souls entrusted me in order to get my way? 

I do value words. I truly believe that "a soft answer turns away wrath" and that the words we speak imprint themselves and can either build up or tear down.  I see the damage my roaring does. I beg grace to cover my sin.

I fight the roaring, button my lips, swallow the loud. I breathe quiet desperate prayers begging for help. I wrestle with the roaring beast that threatens to erupt. When I wrestle it down and pin it hard I know that it is all grace. Only by resting in the love and security of the gentle Lion can I overcome my harsh roar. 

STOP

4 comments:

dayebydaye said...

As a mom, I can completely relate. Sometimes I wonder where these guttural murmurings come from?!! But our Father is so gracious, isn't He?
Thanks for your sweet honesty- it is so hard to admit that we fail sometimes and yet the grace that He wants to bestow on us is so sweet. I am so thankful for His goodness- but also for wonderful kids who know my failings yet love me anyway!

Kelly said...

I know what you mean. and I find that whispering is often scarier than yelling. just a thought....that might be something to practice...great post.

Val said...

Me too. We're all in it together. And thank God that we keep TRYING to squash the roars.

Jenifer Metzger said...

Thank you for visiting my blog, Sweet Blessings! Nice to "meet" you! :)

This is something I battle with often and God is working with me on.